You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: GnR holding audititons for a replacement for Robin?

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Every so often (maybe on a long ride home at night or something) I'll be listening to Estranged alone and it will really hit me. That song is fucking amazing.

And I really wish they'd have done it with Robin in the band. As you all know, I'm sure he'd have played it even better. 16 I KID, I KID 16

Oh God I'm feeling nausea coming up.  To each his own I guess.

That last part was a joke.

I know.  wink

Sky Dog wrote:

favorite vocals and lyrics ...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'm not comparing Estranged to TIL. I'm comparing NR to TIL, and Estranged to TWAT.

Thre's one major difference between NR and TIL and that difference is Slash.  I have said many times that Slash saved NR from being a sappy love song with the guitar solo and the outro.  I still believe this.  TIL doesn't have that same magic, so I can totally see loving NR and thinking TIL is a sappy pile of crap.  NR was a sappy pile of crap that was saved by Slash's work.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't get the grouping TWAT in with NR and the like.  It's closer to Estranged, but I still think it rocks much harder.  I have a hard time placing it in the "ballad" category.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

november rain is really not that great

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'm not comparing Estranged to TIL. I'm comparing NR to TIL, and Estranged to TWAT.

Thre's one major difference between NR and TIL and that difference is Slash.  I have said many times that Slash saved NR from being a sappy love song with the guitar solo and the outro.  I still believe this.  TIL doesn't have that same magic, so I can totally see loving NR and thinking TIL is a sappy pile of crap.  NR was a sappy pile of crap that was saved by Slash's work.

this is where you and i differ and have done so in the past.

i agree that slash's work on november rain is awesome, although, i don't think a solo can save a song (and i'm a guitarist). to me, it sounds like a sappy piece of crap with some great guitar work played over the top off a bunch of fake instruments (not a a great song).

I think nr is a good song released by a band at the pinnacle if it's popularity and at the perfect time.

Sky Dog wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

the outro to NR is awesome-vocals, guitar everything. 9

However, I don't like the fake strings and bullshit on the first half....would have been much better with simple real strings, acoustic guitar, and Slash's electric solos.:peace:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

the outro to NR is awesome-vocals, guitar everything. 9

However, I don't like the fake strings and bullshit on the first half....would have been much better with simple real strings, acoustic guitar, and Slash's electric solos.:peace:

Less is more.  I've always believed this as well.  I think CD is the perfect example of overkill ruining what may have been a very good album.

I don't think NR is a great song - I never said it was great, I said Slash saved it.  I think Estranged is a great song.  NR is an ok song with a great outro filled with energy and passion both musically and vocally that the rest of the song lacks.  NR minus Slash and the outro would be unlistenable in my opinion.

Sky Dog wrote:

the acoustic guitar demo is fabulous...Axl's sad and weary voice matched with the acoustic guitars and background vocal harmonies is how the song should have been recorded. It actually has a depressing cold November day feel to it. sad That version would have been good on Lies.....which in my opinion should have been expanded in to a full album. We already know the Garden and Yesterdays were being worked on as well as the cover KOHD. Add in Civil War and you get a very nice and different follow up to AFD.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

the acoustic guitar demo is fabulous...Axl's sad and weary voice matched with the acoustic guitars and background vocal harmonies is how the song should have been recorded. It actually has a depressing cold November day feel to it. sad

which is my opinion on Madagascar...i absolutely love the vocals on that track, i think Axl emotion on madagascar is fucking amazingingly captured

Board footer