You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: DUFF says he 'Was Reluctant At First' To Open For GN'R

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Song writing, yes, tejastech08 is right.  Performance wise, Slash by far is the most important.  For a live show, you had to have Slash, he still hasn't truly been replaced, Izzy, Duff, Steven, yes, they can be replaced for live settings, but Axl and Slash, they simply cannot.  They brought too much to the table.  At these concerts, nobody is saying, "damn, this show would be so awesome if only Duff and Izzy were here."  Its Slash, that is what the 98% of the fans leaving thinking, "man, if only Slash was here, would have been awesome".

Slash was more important than Axl for live performances? Strange thing to say IMHO.

Of guys not named Axl. I even neither of them are replaceable.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Slash hasn't recorded a single thing even close to comparable to the UYI stuff in 20 years, and it's because he didn't have Izzy making him smarter.

Izzy's great, but at the same time I think  the *guitar* parts are comparable on much of 5 O'Clock somewhere, and several tracks off the solo album too.

I'm NOT trying to claim the OVERALL song is at GNR level as they're not, but in terms of Slash's playing i'm certain that:

1. Add Duff/Axl to 90% of that material and it would be at the standard of a UYI rocker at least.

2. Remove Axl's parts from the UYI rockers such as "Don't Damn Me" and add in Myles or Eric Dover and you have a song that would be at home on Snakepit.

I think it's a modern fallacy amongst fans that Slash isn't as good since GNR, if anything, watching his modern playing it sounds more intricate and much more technically sophisticated than his solos on UYI and AFD yet still with the same passion and ability, I think he's getting better not worse, what's missing on the newer tracks is Izzy, Axl and Duff for sure.....so i'd say we agree on that..but go easy with the "slash hasn't done anything good since GNR" as I think most of his songs would be GNR worthy the minute you added Axl.

I agree monkey!

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I always picture Axl on Slither. Slither is already better than anything off CD in my opinion but holy shit imagine how badass it'd be with Axl's vocals and lyrics...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Slash hasn't recorded a single thing even close to comparable to the UYI stuff in 20 years, and it's because he didn't have Izzy making him smarter.

Neither has Axl.

Wrong. SOD, TWAT & This I Love are all very comparable to anything off of the UYI albums. TWAT even has a solo in it i'd hold up to anything Slash ever recorded solo-wise in GN'R.

Other than MAYBE "Messages", Slash hasn't recorded anything post-1991 that compares to his work in DC, NR & Estranged.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Street Child
You Got No Right
Loving the alien
Slither
Sucker Train Blues
Speed Parade
Serial Killer
Neither Can I
Beggars and Hanger Ons
Fall to pieces
Last Fight
By the Sword
Ghost
Watch This

Those are all pretty damn good Post GNR songs that Slash plays on.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Neither has Axl.

Wrong. SOD, TWAT & This I Love are all very comparable to anything off of the UYI albums. TWAT even has a solo in it i'd hold up to anything Slash ever recorded solo-wise in GN'R.

Other than MAYBE "Messages", Slash hasn't recorded anything post-1991 that compares to his work in DC, NR & Estranged.

No I'm not "wrong". It's my opinion. If you can state Slash hasn't recorded anything near close to compareable since the Illusions as a matter of fact opinion I can do the same with Axl. Cause he hasn't according to my ears.   Prostitute had potential but it sounds so artificial  and Axl's voice is annoying. Honestly Ax's voice is very annoying on much of CD.  Also SOD is such a bad song and the TWAT solo is so  overrated. It stands out cause it's the only real extended solo on the album. It's like the big fish in a  small pond but it's just a  bunch of wanking off really.  It's just there. It doesn't grab ya the way one of Slash's epic solos does. It's not even close to Any of Slash's top 5 solos and that could be any number of ten solos so....

Robin's solo on TIL is the best solo on the album and solos are not even writting or performed by Axl so....

Slither is  better than anything Axl has recorded since the Illusions I think.. And honestly Messages shits all over anything on CD too. Add Axl's voice to it and it's amazing. Slash suffers from not having Axl and Axl clearly suffers from not having Slash.  Neither of them have done anything as good as their past work.  Most people on the planet would  agree.  Although I persoanlly think Slash has come closer than Axl. 

And this isn't directed at you but it may come as a shock to some to know you can actually have that opinion and still be a fan of the new band. Figured I should state that before someone comes in saying "Why the fuck do you even post on  site if you don't like the band"  cause you know that'd be coming 16

Sorry. JMHO

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yer i dont know why everone wacks of over the solo in TWAT its ok but nothing special

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The solo in You Got No Right is awesome, the build up, delivery, and the fucking awesome harmonic squeals sound great too. One of Slash's best easily.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Gotta disagree Bono. TWAT solo is amazing. It's the only moment on CD that's in the same league as real GN'R.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
gibbo wrote:

Yer i dont know why everone wacks of over the solo in TWAT its ok but nothing special

I 100 percent agree.

First 10-15 times i was impressed. went back a couple months ago and was listening through CD.. and surprisingly, I heard TWAT and the solo and kinda went Hmmm that's it?

Def has been grossly overrated in GNR circles IMO.

I think DJ's TIL solo ranks amongst the top GNR solos ever.

Board footer