You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: DUFF says he 'Was Reluctant At First' To Open For GN'R

Neemo wrote:

whatever dude....i was obviously simplifying it for the explanation...

each person is gonna take what they want from the interview...if you see it as diminishing Slash's career then i guess it is 19

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Neemo wrote:

whatever dude....i was obviously simplifying it for the explanation...

each person is gonna take what they want from the interview...if you see it as diminishing Slash's career then i guess it is 19

LOL

I guess my thing with Slash is, He even makes So Fine kick ass with his solo and that track essentially is a throw away.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah never been a fan of that tune either

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

and then he is quoted that all they really need to be seen as a "reunion" is Slash Duff and himself...hardly diminishing Slash's importance

I can see your POV here neemo, but then I interpreted it as Axl talking about other people's perceptions.

I thought he was saying that to the general public, all that's needed to be considered a reunion is Slash, Duff and Himself.

Which I think is very true but in the context of him saying that  people need reminding that Slash came late to GNR and is really only responsible for a few key riffs....I can't help but feel that overall it shows that while he's aware the general public honour Slash...he himself does not greatly value Slash's input (other than on a couple of riffs).

Add in that he's previously said Slash is a cancer and that he could have been best to quit after AFD, and I get the impression that Axl doesn't at all value Slash's UYI material and probably rates his sole contribution to GNR as maybe the intro to SCOM and one or two other snippets. Maybe i'm wrong but that's how it sounds like he feels from these kinds of comments.

I guess it's an opinion he's entitled to, but I feel it's massively not doing justice to how the guitar parts influence the minds of those that listen to the song.

Again i think it comes down to the technical definition of song writing. Technically it's lyrics and melody only, and so many of the songs perhaps are written by Axl and Izzy...but that ignores the fact that it's slash's style of playing, slash's solos, tone, technique, persona and so much more that helped push GNR to superstardom.

For my 2c I think each of the GNR guys added something. Izzy writes good song structures with a real rock vibe, Steven had a particular feel to the way he plays, Duff has a real punk vibe and there's something magical when he plays with Slash about the way it gells, Axl is a freak level of talent, and so is Slash.

Bottom line to me is they are all great, but Axl and Slash operate on another level to the other guys - maybe it's because in Rock people listen more to the lead vocals and lead guitar - but each one of them could be added to ANY project and it suddenly becomes a hell of a lot more interesting than it would otherwise have been.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

well it is Axl's POV so he is certainly entitled to it

i agree with what you guys are saying...i'm a huge slash fan...prolly more of a slash fan than axl tbh, but hey slash has his opinions, duff has his opinions and axl has his...etc etc

they are all right coming from thier own personal recollections and pov's

if slash says he wrote something then so be it....if axl said it was him and izzy...ok...in the end its the end product that resulted from those guys being together that mad it magical...i really could care less ... the songs kick ass...let the lawyers figure out who is entitled to what...all i care is Axl is vocals, slash is lead, izzy is rhythm, duff is bass...and whoever played on drums is there (adler/matt)

you and i know that axl didnt sit there and play a drum demo for adler or matt before they got down to recording...or throw a lead lick out there for slash to copy...without 5 parts to a whole its just a demo cassette and they wouldnt be where they are today

whether axl actually said that...or implied it or the reporter twisted the words to make the story more interesting i dunno...and frankly dont even care...like i said posturing and semantics

if they reunite...who will they be doing it for? the fans and the almighty buck?

forget artistic integrity...that shit went out the window when they became iconic musical millionaires

go from sipping nighttrain to dom perignon

"its easy to be social its so easy to be cool yeah its easy to be hungry when you aint got shit to lose, i wish that i could help you with what you hope to find, but i'm still out here waiting watchign reruns of my life. When you reach the point of breaking you know it's gonna take some time to heal the broken memories that another man would need just to survive"

at leasts hes talking...hopefully its a step towards healing those "broken memories"

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Put JUST Axl and Slash in a room together to punch it out, and I reckon they'll come out as friends again.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think Axl wants any part of Slash.  Axl is crazy, but he isn't stupid.  Axl is like Mike Tyson, Slash would be Evander Holifield... Axl would bite him like he bit Tommy Hilfiger.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Slash is pretty buffed up these days. they always say watch the quiet ones and loud ones are usually pussies.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash would crush him... He is sick of being disrepected.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Slash is way buffer...but then Axl is a guy you don't want to push into a corner..he's a little likely to go wild I think...anyway - these guys are multimillionaires...closest they will come to a punch up is sending around another lawsuit..by hand courier wink

Board footer