You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: DUFF says he 'Was Reluctant At First' To Open For GN'R

Smoking Guns wrote:

No, Axl is insecure and Slash threatens Axl because he was just as big a rock star then and one could argue Slash is the bigger of the rockstars now. The GNR name alone is what carries Axl in 2011. Not Chinese Democracy, etc. Slash is a famous player that will always be well known, a session player to the stars, video games, gear, etc. He is the most famous guitar player in the world. Axl is probably top 20 lead vocalist in the world.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Axl's actually trying to give credit to Izzy & Duff, something alot of people don't do, especially Slash and his fanboys.

Slash in reality probably does get a bit too much credit for those songs.

Much love for Izzy and Duff they're great - but at the same time there's no possible way to exaggerate Slash's contribution to GNR.

I think we need to distinguish between the song writing vs the factors in the song that make it so bad ass.

For example, I can write a pretty melody. If I give that to Axl - I wrote the song - but it's going to sound 50 times cooler in Axl's voice and with his tricks than mine. Same with Slash - even on a simple riff something about the touch and the attitude to the way he plays it makes it stand out. Ask yourself this - if Axl and Slash agreed to rerecord my songs - would the fact that I am the songwriter really stop it working out pretty cool - unlikely because they both add a fuckload to anything they play.

So sure...in some cases Izzy wrote the basis of the song, it's like he set the playground that inspired the others to play, and they're fantastic playgrounds, but at the same time, if Izzy sang it himself and played the guitar solos himself...then AFD would still be cool - but it wouldn't be the kind of all time classic it is. Why - because he wrote stuff that Axl and Slash added their magic to.

Listen to any old GNR and what stands out are two things. Axl's aggression, his tone, his power, his emotion, his headfucky lyrics. Slash's touch, his choice of notes, his emotion, his way of playing. Every lyric and every guitar note is fucking dripping with those two things.

They're iconic people. Thousands of people took up guitar when they saw the november rain clip, or they heard the sweet child of mine riffs. A generation of players is influenced by slash in terms of his sound, his aura, his stage presence, his technique and his styles....just as many people consider Axl to be one of the last great rock frontmen.

It's outright semantics or insanity to suggest anything else in my opinion.  Maybe on some technical front he's not the songwriter...whatever...he was 50% of the stage show (to the point that he's charactured places now and his moves are emulated even to this day in GNR) and it's for sure his guitar sounds that you hear on those tracks...even if the chord structure was izzy's idea.

The strange thing is the way Axl is clouded to this fact. Look at how he's previously said Slash should have left after AFD. Can anyone seriously believe UYI would have been just as good with a random guitarist playing the solos and riffs. Madness.

Seriously, I can handle it if he hates Slash, if he was to get up and say he's a liar or an asshole or something else, but to diminish Slash on the musical contribution side of GNR is really just bizarre, and to be honest I think makes Axl seem a little strange, as it's sure not an opinion that's easily demonstrated by listening to the actual music.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Axl absolutely pissed me off with those comments
First he calls Slash a cancer after his mom died of cancer THEN to try and fuck with Slash's contributions is fucking bush league and across the line.

Slash has talked shit but he has always maintained Axl's brilliance. If Axl stuck with Tracii Guns he WOULD NOT be in the HOF.

People forget GNR ONLY broke because of SCOM which hmmmm was written by SLASH

If Slash doesn't create that riff... GNR prob are never heard from again

a Few key riffs? STFU Axl.. makes him even seem clueless as to what makes GNR so great which is unfathomable.

Bet Slash got wind of this which is why he is now denying RSVP the HOF

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the more these 2 get shit off their chest then the more likelyhood that they will eventually sit down and talk face to face one day and come to some kind of co-existance in the musical world...doesnt need to be in a band together but to actually give props to one another would be cool...but tbh it seems like both guys flip flop on their feelings on one another

i didnt really feel axls comments were too inflammatory as some of you make it out to be...Slash will be at the induction...so will axl and all the rest...the only wild card here is Izzy, just cuz it will totally depend on what way the wind is blowing that particular day

-D-

-D- wrote:
Neemo wrote:

the more these 2 get shit off their chest then the more likelyhood that they will eventually sit down and talk face to face one day and come to some kind of co-existance in the musical world...doesnt need to be in a band together but to actually give props to one another would be cool...but tbh it seems like both guys flip flop on their feelings on one another

i didnt really feel axls comments were too inflammatory as some of you make it out to be...Slash will be at the induction...so will axl and all the rest...the only wild card here is Izzy, just cuz it will totally depend on what way the wind is blowing that particular day

Only trying to discredit Slash's entire career?

Not inflammatory?

I'd hate to see what u would consider inflammatory

-D-

-D- wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff sure didn't bridge the anger between Axl and Slash as many suggested.  He opened for a guy that again just the other day, took another opportunity to marginalize Slash's role in Guns N Roses.  Its one thing if Axl commented on Slash's personality, but to downplay this actual musical contribution pisses me off.  Duff seems fine supporting guys that do that to his best friend I guess.  Just perplexes me.  If I am Duff, I have a word with Axl, if Axl gets pissed for saying "lay off Slash" or whatever, I would tell Axl to fuck off.  Its just getting old and uncalled for.  Slash's hasn't said anything bad about Axl in a long time.

People on here get mad when I say it, but Slash was 100 percent correct about Duff being spineless if he really said it.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

and it was a paraphrased quote ... who knows what was really said?

-D-

-D- wrote:

Its embarrassing and damn near Plagarism for Axl to take sole credit for some of those songs.  I could see if it was CC Deville wanking off a bunch of nonsense that has nothing to do to eleeate the song, but Slash elevated and made those songs all time classics. take away Slash and NR is a long redundant above avg song.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

but if he is plying scales over a chord progression and lyrics arranged by izzy and axl at a prior date the who wrote the song? its all posturing and semantics

and then he is quoted that all they really need to be seen as a "reunion" is Slash Duff and himself...hardly diminishing Slash's importance

-D-

-D- wrote:

Playing Scales?

Really?

Board footer