You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N Roses OFFICIALLY inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I have mixed views.

On one hand, I enjoy the current band, I'm excited for their future works, Chinese Democracy is one of my all time favourite albums and I think some of the tracks on there are amongst the best songs Axl has ever written. So I support the new guys.

However, when it comes to this issue, the rock and roll hall of fame is about history, it's about popular culture, it's about the acts that changed music forever, that influenced the lives of the generations who grew up with them.

To people in 1985-1994 or whatever that's what GNR was...the rolling stones of our generation, that's what Guns N Roses means to them as a phrase, and while I deeply adore Chinese Democracy, this award is about AFD and UYI and the indelible mark they left on our collective experience.

For that reason I think this particular award should be about the original line up, and the additional UYI helpers only.

It's not disrespectful to the current GNR, they are awesome and I hope they will release albums in the future that will become some of my all time favourites too, but right now...this award night is about what has been done not what is to be, and the things that we're really celebrating here occured prior to any of them being in the band.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

[Also, you could argue that CD does have something to do with GNR getting in.  That album became mythical.  It took so long to come out, it was a major topic of conversation in the music world for a decade.  You could argue if GNR had gone into hiding in 1994 and no one ever heard anything again from them, the Hall could've passed on them.  The CD era, at the very least, kept them relevant.  To what extent, can certainly be debated.  It's not exactly a blip on the radar screen however.  You can complain about record sales or quality all you want.  The album got great reviews and a whole lot of attention initially.  They've been touring the album in every corner of the world for nearly 3 years now.  Again, all things that have kept the GNR name out there, for what it's worth.

I don't believe you could not argue that in the slightest. CD era did not keep them relevant in anyway whatsoever and with or without CD the band was going in as a 1st ballot inductee.  Let's not misconstrue some peopel being aware that Axl is touring and released and album with Gn'R being relevant. The classic hits were not getting airplay based on CD's mythology and people attendeding tours in 2000-2007 were not attending them to hear CD era songs. Ok maybe a sprinkling of fans but c'mon. CD played no part in Gn'R's relevance in terms of public perception other than to fuel the idea that Gn'R sucks without Slash. Not something I'm saying but something that is the general consensus among the average Joe in my opinion.

CD will play a part with this current band becoming relevant as well as how they choose to move forward and establish themselves but bluntly put the CD era did nothing to further the old band's legacy and it did nothing to help them get inducted into the RRHOF.   Gn'R did not remain rock god's in the eys of old fans and new fans thaks to the CD era.   

Slash's activity with solo albums, guest spots and the existence of Velvet Revolver played a much bigger role in keeping the Gn'R name relevant in my opinion.

This is why I think it's so important for this band to capaitalize on what's happening right now. The band is sounding great, Axl is sounding great so power through this tour like a juggernaut and then get their asses instantly into the studio and build off this momentum. Another extended period of silence or another tour of CD will be ridiculous. It's time to establish a  new era and stop riding the coattails of the old lineup.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

I just have to say the entire fanbase is going mental over this.

You think? Some are sounding like bitter ex girlfriends. 16

Hopefully they bring the current line up to the show to watch as an act of respect. Can't see that not happening.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

U can argue however u want and i really don't care who all u think should get in.

What pisses me off, is people who can sit there with a straight face and say they don't wanna see Original Appetite lineup perform a couple songs one last time.

I think anyone who says that is fucking nuts. No offense.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

[Also, you could argue that CD does have something to do with GNR getting in.  That album became mythical.  It took so long to come out, it was a major topic of conversation in the music world for a decade.  You could argue if GNR had gone into hiding in 1994 and no one ever heard anything again from them, the Hall could've passed on them.  The CD era, at the very least, kept them relevant.  To what extent, can certainly be debated.  It's not exactly a blip on the radar screen however.  You can complain about record sales or quality all you want.  The album got great reviews and a whole lot of attention initially.  They've been touring the album in every corner of the world for nearly 3 years now.  Again, all things that have kept the GNR name out there, for what it's worth.

I don't believe you could not argue that in the slightest. CD era did not keep them relevant in anyway whatsoever and with or without CD the band was going in as a 1st ballot inductee.  Let's not misconstrue some peopel being aware that Axl is touring and released and album with Gn'R being relevant. The classic hits were not getting airplay based on CD's mythology and people attendeding tours in 2000-2007 were not attending them to hear CD era songs. Ok maybe a sprinkling of fans but c'mon. CD played no part in Gn'R's relevance in terms of public perception other than to fuel the idea that Gn'R sucks without Slash. Not something I'm saying but something that is the general consensus among the average Joe in my opinion.

CD will play a part with this current band becoming relevant as well as how they choose to move forward and establish themselves but bluntly put the CD era did nothing to further the old band's legacy and it did nothing to help them get inducted into the RRHOF.   Gn'R did not remain rock god's in the eys of old fans and new fans thaks to the CD era.   

Slash's activity with solo albums, guest spots and the existence of Velvet Revolver played a much bigger role in keeping the Gn'R name relevant in my opinion.

This is why I think it's so important for this band to capaitalize on what's happening right now. The band is sounding great, Axl is sounding great so power through this tour like a juggernaut and then get their asses instantly into the studio and build off this momentum. Another extended period of silence or another tour of CD will be ridiculous. It's time to establish a  new era and stop riding the coattails of the old lineup.

There's no doubt CD is and will forever be a a part of GN'R's legacy and yes, it did keep them in the public eye for a LONG ass time. Doesn't matter how some people view that, good or bad. It did.

My general concensus opinion is that the average Joe doesn't care about who is or isn't in the line up as much as we do. But seeing Slash up there would surely bring back a flood of nostalgia in a lot of people.

misterID

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

U can argue however u want and i really don't care who all u think should get in.

What pisses me off, is people who can sit there with a straight face and say they don't wanna see Original Appetite lineup perform a couple songs one last time.

Who's saying that, D?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Have to agree. AFD lineup is legendary.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

1 - You're the one not wanting to acknowledge the facts. They carried on without Steven in 1990, then without Izzy 1991, then without Slash 1996. All these guys were replaced when they left, including Duff, who remained in the band until 1997. I'm not the best at math, but leaving over the span of 7 years isn't exactly leaving at the same time. Duff did in fact stay after Slash quit. He was even part of getting Slash's replacement, which would indicate he did have a similar vision in the musical direction as Axl by getting Robin and then personally asking Chris Vrenna to join, from NIN. There were a lot of reasons why Duff left.  You're wanting me to ignore what happened between TSI? and when they reemerged in 02. That's kind of impossible.

This is stupid because you kow exactly what I mean but you just grasp at straws to make it seem liek Duff was an integral part of the CD era. whatever.

misterID wrote:

2 - I didn't ignore what you said about U2. You made a terrible comparison. "It would be like Bono replacing Larry, Adam and The Edge then proceeding to tour once in a while and then replace two more members then finally release one album  that nobody cared about all over a  16 year span and then indicuting the the five new members along with the original band members as U2. Aboslute blapshemy."

The make up and dynamic of U2 is completely different than GN'R. But if you want to get hypothetical, if this happened after U2's first 2 albums, I doubt anyone would care. Especially if that album they finally released that nobody cared about, sold over 2 million copies around the world and people were still lining up to see their shows. Again, if the hall wanted to induct only the founding members of those first 2 U2 albums, I don't think anyone would mind. If they included the imaginary new guys with the founding members who'd been in the band for 16 years, I doubt anyone would mind that.

hahaha you just refuse to look at it in a hypthetical sense in a equal manner. Had U2's career gone EXACTLY the way Gn'R's did post 1993.... get it?   Trust me people would have an issue with new era members getting in with the original lineup.  Use any band you want as  an example. I know full well the dynamics are not gonna be the same what I'm saying is,  and it's not hard to follow,  interchange this scenario exactly, with any other band and you'd have people who rightfully so would think it asinine for the new era members to be inducted for somthing they never helped create & were never a part of anything that's reason for this induction. 

misterID wrote:

3 - I think the original 5 should be inducted, but if they wanted to include the current line up in the bands induction, fine too. Even though I think that's not really going to happen, they still inducted Metallica as a band. Not the lineup from the Black, Load album era, or any specific line up. But as a band.

the difference between Metallica and Guns N' Roses is Metallica never had two distinct eras. That's what this boils down to. Guns N' Roses has two distinct eras with completely different bands. One was responsible for creating the ever lasting legacy of rock gods, the other is responsible for what?    I guess I just don't understand why anyone woudl be fine with the new band members getting inducted to the RRHOF for somhting they never even participated in.

I'm not saying you're arguing for it casue I get you're not I just don't know how anyone could be fine with that. The RRHOF is cheap enough as it is that just cheapens it to a whole other level.  Like I said the only peoel who woudl ever be fine with it are peoel on this forums. a handfull of diiehards whereas the rest fo the world would absolutely mock the decsision.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

There's no doubt CD is and will forever be a a part of GN'R's legacy and yes, it did keep them in the public eye for a LONG ass time. Doesn't matter how some people view that, good or bad. It did.

My general concensus opinion is that the average Joe doesn't care about who is or isn't in the line up as much as we do. But seeing Slash up there would surely bring back a flood of nostalgia in a lot of people.

CD kept a handful of fans on the edge of their seat for 15 years while the rest of the world went about their business. As for the genral public not caring the way we do well no shit but I guarantee you if the general public had seen Buckethead being inducted as Guns N' Roses the genral public would laugh their ass off and say "Now that is fucking stupid"  Amaizng that some of you actually think CD played a part in their induction and kept their legacy alive well enough for the RRHOF to consider Gn'R for induction 16

MisterID wrote:

You think? Some are sounding like bitter ex girlfriends 16

being fine with the new guys being inducted would be like you being fine with getting back together with your exgirlfriend as long as she could bring her new boyfriend along because after all he got her off all those years you weren't around

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer