You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Guns N Roses OFFICIALLY inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

It'll probably be just like when Creedence Clearwater Revival was inducted, John Fogerty played Who'll stop the Rain with some of his friends and had the other band members barred from the stage.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

I just have to say the entire fanbase is going mental over this.

I can't disagree there, and I include myself. smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
smoke wrote:

It's a super weird situation, because there's a giant balancing act that needs to be played.

The current lineup is going concern right now- that's who's out there touring and killing it, and that's who's most likely to put together another album.

Obviously, as far as induction goes, it's the classic + (arguably) UYI lineups that should go in.

But performance-wise, they almost NEED to play with three lineups. Classic and UYI, plus current. As much as I loved '02, I don't believe they need to be there. They need to respect WHY they're getting in and play to that, but at the same time publically acknowledge that THIS band is what you're gonna get for the forseeable future.  Otherwise, the whole current lineup and Axl's positive vibe is gonna get derailed by non-stop reunion talk and the reviews will get even more heavy with descriptions of who WASN'T on stage at each show, instead of focusing on the music and giving the current guys credit where it's deserved.

Blondie should/could have handled it that way too, if they could have put their shit aside for a song. Also if the RRHOF considered them "big" enough to play more than one.

But with GnR, the controversy, the "who's gonna show", the whole unknowingness of the situation, along with just how giant they were.... I think the HOF would give them three songs if they asked for it. Especially if that got Axl on stage with Slash for two of them.  The real trick is order. You can't lead with the current guys, because that's the first "bang" post-induction. And since Slash is in the other two lineups, you pretty mush HAVE to lead off with the classic crew.  So maybe Classic -> Current -> UYI would be the way to go.  Or give em four songs and close with Classic as well.

I think I'm going to try and get tickets.

That's how I see it too.  Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with the notion that the current lineup should not be inducted and the reason GNR is getting in is because of the years from 87-93.  But, like you said, there still is a GNR today and hopefully it will be carrying on for some time.  That HAS to be acknowledged in some way.  At least that's the way I see it.  I know the ceremony is about the past and not about the future, but I just feel that point has to be made somehow.  Otherwise things might get even crazier than they already are.  Some people STILL aren't aware that Slash isn't in Guns N' Roses anymore and buy tickets to shows expecting to see him.  A full on reunion at the Hall with NO mention of the current band would bring things to another level.

Also, you could argue that CD does have something to do with GNR getting in.  That album became mythical.  It took so long to come out, it was a major topic of conversation in the music world for a decade.  You could argue if GNR had gone into hiding in 1994 and no one ever heard anything again from them, the Hall could've passed on them.  The CD era, at the very least, kept them relevant.  To what extent, can certainly be debated.  It's not exactly a blip on the radar screen however.  You can complain about record sales or quality all you want.  The album got great reviews and a whole lot of attention initially.  They've been touring the album in every corner of the world for nearly 3 years now.  Again, all things that have kept the GNR name out there, for what it's worth.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Come and hang out, or forget the next paycheck?

Still can't see the reasoning there. Performing in the ceremony's one thing, attending there is another.

No, I mean demand it of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Sky Dog wrote:

looks like Dizzy and Matt are in...according to a cleveland paper

"From the current lineup, Rose and Reed are the only members headed into the Rock Hall. Inducted alongside them will be ex-bandmates Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler and Matt Sorum -- i.e., musicians from the group’s heyday in the late ’80s and early ’90s."

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index … e-bou.html

faldor

faldor wrote:

I think that's the right call.  Sorry Gilby.

Sky Dog wrote:

I can live with that....

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Rob Trujillo was inducted into the hall along with Metallica last year. He only joined the band in 2003 and is only credited on one album.

I'm not fussed either way, who is and isn't inducted I'm just glad to see it happen, I just figured that Rob was a good example case that I hadn't see brought up yet for those arguing for/against CD-Era musicians being inducted.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Naltav wrote:

My guess on how Axl would want the RRHF ceremony to play out would be: current line present (yes, I think he's cocky and arrogant enough to do that!)

Oh, please.

If some current members attend their boss' party, how'd that be cocky and arrogant?

Tommy's been in the band nearly 14 years. You go tell him he has no right.

He's saying Axl would be cocky and arrogant enough to demand it.

I meant that Axl would want the current lineup as the MAIN band. Being at the event/ceremony and performing, with scattered guest spots from Izzy and Duff (as a thank you for what they helped build!). That is my guess on how Axl would want it play out

Tommy should def be inducted! So should Pitman, Fortus, Ron, Frank, Matt and Gilby!

My view is, if you've been a member of the band and recorded on a released album, you're in! No Teddy zig-zag big bag, Tracy, Reberta or horn sections!

But it is a bizarre situation. And regarding who gets inducted and not, how does that even work? I tried to look it up once, don't remember what I found out, but I think it wasn't clear enough to wrap my head around it. Was Rob inducted with Metallica? If so, the list of GNR-inductees is gonna be loooong.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah I wasn't sure if Rob was inducted either.  I know they fought for him to be there to perform and accept the award with the band, but is his name actually in the record books as a member?  I'm not sure how it works anyway.  Is there a Metallica plaque in the hall with all the inducted members on  it?

Board footer