You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GN'R Nominated for Hall of Fame

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

AFD has few rivals in the greatest album of all time category... 

Its AFD, Back In Black, Dark Side of the Moon then everything else...

Zeppelin II and IV are up there too.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

yes but that staying power is because of reflection....back in 1991....in the moment....there was only UYI...if AFD was their only thing of consequence then why all the bitching about lack of UYI material?

the UYI singles were ycbm, dont cry, LALD, NR, YEsterdays, The Garden, Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, Estranged, civil war, kohd, ptu, 14 years, so fine

14 damn songs! there were more singles from UYI that there were tracks on AFD for fucks sakes...to say (or imply) that UYI's were inconsequential or not as importants as AFD is complete and utter nonsense

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

yes but that staying power is because of reflection....back in 1991....in the moment....there was only UYI...if AFD was their only thing of consequence then why all the bitching about lack of UYI material?

the UYI singles were ycbm, dont cry, LALD, NR, YEsterdays, The Garden, Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, Estranged, civil war, kohd, ptu, 14 years

13 damn songs! there were more singles from UYI that there were tracks on AFD for fucks sakes...to say (or imply) that UYI's were inconsequential or not as importants as AFD is complete and utter nonsense

They aren't as important as AFD. You can insist they are, but that's simply not the case in the eyes of critics, media, or the general public. Most casual fans only know a handful of GN'R songs (WTTJ, PC, SCOM, Patience, NR) and three of them are from AFD while only one of them is from UYI, despite the UYI albums having 2.5 hours of music compared to AFD's 1 hour.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl Rose
Slash
Izzy Stradlin
Gilby Clarke
Duff McKagan
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Dizzy Reed

everyone else fuck off. Simple as that.

I pretty much agree with this. After this lineup the whole thing pretty much ceased to exist as Guns N' Roses.  Gilby stepped up big time and fit in great for the two years they toured and he recoreded on TSI. Sorum recorded on the Illusions and TSI and toured with them for two years in height of their popularity. The CD era guys have done fuck all but collect a  paycheck really do nostalgia tribute tours and release am album nobody gave a shit about.

CD era has NOTHING to do with their nomination to the RRHOF. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Why anyone thinks any of those guys should get in is way beyond me.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. CD is a huge part of GN'R's legacy. You want to put Gilby in for appearing in some music videos and doing a tour and replaced Izzy on some covers. Sorry, Tommy deserves to get in with GN'R if Gilby is in.

And, Matt and Gilby were there collecting paychecks too. But Tommy actually contributed to original Gn'R songs. Tommy is way more deserving than Gilby. You just like that line up more and hate the new line up.

And sorry again, CD was well received by critics and sold very well.

And yes, I know you're going to respond with another obnoxious, profanity laced, unnecessarily angry post. Have at it...

bucket

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

You 100% sure of that? And yes GN'R easily could have been a headline act at that point. Aerosmith's own manager admitted that GN'R was a bigger deal than Aerosmith at the time. Harsh reality for the headline act, but the stone cold truth.

At the END of the tour they were the bigger deal. They could not have headlined that tour throughout. And YES I'm pretty damn sure that tickets purchased for that tour were done so by people who wanted to see Areosmith. Over the course of the tour did people also want to see Guns N' Roses? yes but Guns N' Roses weren't the main reason people bought tickets or were showing up to those shows.  Tickets didn't go on sale for that tour and sell out because of Guns N' Roses. They sold out because of Aerosmith.

By the end of the tour is what I'm talking about. Unless the end of that Aerosmith tour was literally sold out 5 months earlier when GN'R was still pretty obscure, your argument falls down.

yeah well most concerts do tend to go on sale months in advance so my arguement is pretty sound. I remember buying tickets to Gn'R in March 1993. I bought my tickets in December 1992 so...  Foo Fighters tickets here went on sale in July. The concert isn't untill October 27th. I'm pretty sure tickets pruchased for an Areosmith headlining tour were bought based on interest in Aerosmith and the fans lucked out that Gn'R happend to be the opener and gaind a huge amount of steam over the course of the tour.

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The opening week sales of UYI are a result of AFD's reputation with the public. It's no different than when a popular movie has a sequel come out and the sequel breaks opening weekend records. The quality of the sequel doesn't have shit to do with those sales figures. It's the word of mouth from the first movie that causes a huge opening for the second movie. Same shit with AFD and UYI. I feel like UYI are classic albums, but they still have a "mixed" reputation with the very critics and media who vote on the Hall of Fame

Sure. By this theory they'd have ignored U2 post Joshua Tree when they were inducted. That didn't happen. I guess Achtung Baby has no relevance when talking about why U2 was inducted into the hall of fame cause everything is a result of Joshua Tree....  14

tejastech08 wrote:

[The main thing UYI does for GN'R is prove that they weren't a one album wonder that got lucky. You don't craft songs like Estranged, November Rain, Coma, You Could Be Mine, Civil War, and so forth if you just got lucky the first time around. But make no mistake, the UYI albums are not strong enough on their own to get GN'R into the Hall of Fame. AFD, however, is arguably strong enough to get them in just on that one album. Damn thing has a better collection of music than the the Greatest Hits collections for a lot of current Hall of Famers.

Your arguement that the Illusions won't be aknowledged though is just silly. End of story. Like I said it would  be like not aknowledegding U2's Achtung Baby/Zooropa era and the consequent Zoo TV tour. No way in hell the Illusion era is not aknowledged.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Your arguement that the Illusions won't be aknowledged though is just silly. End of story. Like I said it would  be like not aknowledegding U2's Achtung Baby/Zooropa era and the consequet Zoo TV tour. No way in hell the Illusion era is not aknowledged.

First of all, learn to spell. It's argument. Second of all, I didn't argue that they wouldn't acknowledge it. I merely asked a hypothetical question. "Who says they'll acknowledge it at all?" That's not an argument since I was just throwing a possible scenario out there. However, I did argue that they wouldn't acknowledge the drummer and keyboardist who rode the coattails of the other 4 guys that were actually there for AFD. They'll induct the original 5, if they induct them at all.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. CD is a huge part of GN'R's legacy. You want to put Gilby in for appearing in some music videos and doing a tour and replaced Izzy on some covers. Sorry, Tommy deserves to get in with GN'R if Gilby is in.

And, Matt and Gilby were there collecting paychecks too. But Tommy actually contributed to original Gn'R songs. Tommy is way more deserving than Gilby. You just like that line up more and hate the new line up.

And sorry again, CD was well received by critics and sold very well.

And yes, I know you're going to respond with another obnoxious, profanity laced, unnecessarily angry post. Have at it...

bucket

Nobody gives a rats ass about CD era Guns N' Roses when it comes to the RRHOF. Only a handful of Gn'R fanboys online.  If people are even crazy enough to argue that the Illusions won't be aknowledegd what on god's green earth makes you think the CD era even has a sniff. The CD era means nothing in this  conversation of the RRHOF. Seriously it means nothing.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

MTV was at Alpine Valley for their first UYI show (before the albums came out).  UYI was flippin huge - it's amazing how people forget that...Nevermind came out and the landscape supposedly changed, but somehow that tour went on forever.

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Your arguement that the Illusions won't be aknowledged though is just silly. End of story. Like I said it would  be like not aknowledegding U2's Achtung Baby/Zooropa era and the consequet Zoo TV tour. No way in hell the Illusion era is not aknowledged.

First of all, learn to spell. It's argument. Second of all, I didn't argue that they wouldn't acknowledge it. I merely asked a hypothetical question. "Who says they'll acknowledge it at all?" That's not an argument since I was just throwing a possible scenario out there. However, I did argue that they wouldn't acknowledge the drummer and keyboardist who rode the coattails of the other 4 guys that were actually there for AFD. They'll induct the original 5, if they induct them at all.

Seriously you're pointing out spelling errors now? Incredibly weak man. Actually that's pathetic.  To even suggest that the Illusions may not be aknowledegd in the legacy of Gn'R is just dumb and you know it. Otherwise you'd not take the time to point out a spelling error.  If that was in any way relevant to this you shoud've said somehting ages ago as my posts are always laced with typeos.  Whatever floats your boat though.

buzzsaw wrote:

MTV was at Alpine Valley for their first UYI show (before the albums came out).  UYI was flippin huge - it's amazing how people forget that...Nevermind came out and the landscape supposedly changed, but somehow that tour went on forever.

Nevermind is good but it was so overrated and over hyped it wasn't even funny. 2 years after that album came out everyone in my school was still listening to the Illusion albums while 2 years later Smells Like Teen Spirit was still the only Nirvana song anyone really cared about. Honestly it seemd like EVERYONE in my school had the Illuisons. Only a  handful of people had Nevermind and I don't ever recall Nevermind being played at any of the parties all through highschool. Pearl Jam was bigger in my neck of the woods than Nirvana ever was. Nirvana was honestly a  massive product of media hype.

Board footer