You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: GN'R Nominated for Hall of Fame

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah they coulda got someone else but they didnt..they got gilby

and they were famous in 88 but they didnt realy blow up until the illusions tour

they were an opening act for Great White, Crue, Maiden and Aerosmith in 88 and the big break was opening a couple shows for the Stones in 89. no shows in 1990 then in 91 they toured from may to august with izzy then UYI was release and Izzy left...they found gilby in Nov and toured basically constantly from December '91 to July '93 ...92 is when they got insanely big ... when dizzy, gilby and sorum were in the band including the paris ppv, the japan dvd's, some of live era, and TSI all feature these guys as well as the majority of the music vids from the UYI era ... i think that is enough of an incentive that they belong in the hall IF gnr is inducted

not down playing Izzy and Steven...just saying the 3 guys above had a hand in making gnr what it became

Absolutely. To ignore Gilby is ridiculous. Yeah they coudl've filled Izzy's spot with someone else but they didn't. they filled it with Gilby and on the Tokyo dvd's they talk abut how well he fit in and how many songs he learned in 2 weeks and then toured his ass off with them for the next two years, recorded on TSI. Shit way more than half of Guns N' Roses music videos feature Gilby. the only official live relea
es feature Gilby. 

Anyone who says CD era members shoudl be in the hall has (Axl)Rose coloured shades on and doesn't realize the CD era is irrlevant when talking about Gn'R and the RRHOF.  I'm sorry but CD era and RRHOF in the same conversation is a joke in my opinion.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

By the end of the Aerosmith tour, GN'R was the main reason people were showing up.

Pretty sure the tickets had already all been sold and they were purchased for Areosmith. Not denying Gn'R had become a massive force but they were NOT the main reason people were showing up. Those people had bought tickets to see Aerosmith. People were simply showing up early to catch the opening band. Could Gn'R have headlined their own tour at that point? Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know cause the fact is they had a built in crowd. The arenas were sold out for Aerosmith. the stars aligned though and people started showing up to see Guns N' Roses as well. Not as the main reason.

You 100% sure of that? And yes GN'R easily could have been a headline act at that point. Aerosmith's own manager admitted that GN'R was a bigger deal than Aerosmith at the time. Harsh reality for the headline act, but the stone cold truth.

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Who says they will even acknowledge UYI at all? To the media, the most memorable aspect of it was the fact that they went on the longest tour ever and had all kinds of controversy surrounding it. The critical reception of UYI was very mixed compared to AFD. If they make it in, I think it will only be the AFD lineup.

Ummm... UYI is a huge reason Gn'R are who they are. First band ever to enter the charts with two albums in the top two spots. the hysteria surrounding those albums was insane. You honestly think when talking about Guns N' Roses and thier legacy that the illusion albums won't be in the conversation? November Rain is on those albusma nd November Rain is arguebaly their most popular song ever.  UYI are definitly going to be aknowledged.

Neemo wrote:

i still say they were bigger in 91-93 than in 88-89 but maybe i am wrong

No dude you are right. they were not the biggest band in the world in 1988-89. It was 1991-1993 when the band was the biggest band in the world. AFTER the release of the Illusion albums.

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

You 100% sure of that? And yes GN'R easily could have been a headline act at that point. Aerosmith's own manager admitted that GN'R was a bigger deal than Aerosmith at the time. Harsh reality for the headline act, but the stone cold truth.

At the END of the tour they were the bigger deal. They could not have headlined that tour throughout. And YES I'm pretty damn sure that tickets purchased for that tour were done so by people who wanted to see Areosmith. Over the course of the tour did people also want to see Guns N' Roses? yes but Guns N' Roses weren't the main reason people bought tickets or were showing up to those shows.  Tickets didn't go on sale for that tour and sell out because of Guns N' Roses. They sold out because of Aerosmith.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think had "Chinese Democracy" been released in 2001 for instance and say the 2nd/3rd act of it, or even just a 2nd. between then and now. I think Buckethead/Tommy/Pitman would been in there as a technicality regardless of perceived impact/sales.

In this reality though, does anyone believe Tommy/Buckethead would actually show up/accept an induction knowing what the media fiasco that would happen?

Only thing almost for sure at the min. is that "Guns N' Roses" will be inducted one way or the other, some of the nominaters themselves have implied that they're a lock. The not in the 1st year argument is obsolete.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

At the END of the tour they were the bigger deal. They could not have headlined that tour throughout. And YES I'm pretty damn sure that tickets purchased for that tour were done so by people who wanted to see Areosmith. Over the course of the tour did people also want to see Guns N' Roses? yes but Guns N' Roses weren't the main reason people bought tickets or were showing up to those shows.  Tickets didn't go on sale for that tour and sell out because of Guns N' Roses. They sold out because of Aerosmith.

By the end of the tour is what I'm talking about. Unless the end of that Aerosmith tour was literally sold out 5 months earlier when GN'R was still pretty obscure, your argument falls down.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Who says they will even acknowledge UYI at all? To the media, the most memorable aspect of it was the fact that they went on the longest tour ever and had all kinds of controversy surrounding it. The critical reception of UYI was very mixed compared to AFD. If they make it in, I think it will only be the AFD lineup.

Ummm... UYI is a huge reason Gn'R are who they are. First band ever to enter the charts with two albums in the top two spots. the hysteria surrounding those albums was insane. You honestly think when talking about Guns N' Roses and thier legacy that the illusion albums won't be in the conversation? November Rain is on those albusma nd November Rain is arguebaly their most popular song ever.  UYI are definitly going to be aknowledged.

Neemo wrote:

i still say they were bigger in 91-93 than in 88-89 but maybe i am wrong

No dude you are right. they were not the biggest band in the world in 1988-89. It was 1991-1993 when the band was the biggest band in the world. AFTER the release of the Illusion albums.

The opening week sales of UYI are a result of AFD's reputation with the public. It's no different than when a popular movie has a sequel come out and the sequel breaks opening weekend records. The quality of the sequel doesn't have shit to do with those sales figures. It's the word of mouth from the first movie that causes a huge opening for the second movie. Same shit with AFD and UYI. I feel like UYI are classic albums, but they still have a "mixed" reputation with the very critics and media who vote on the Hall of Fame.

The main thing UYI does for GN'R is prove that they weren't a one album wonder that got lucky. You don't craft songs like Estranged, November Rain, Coma, You Could Be Mine, Civil War, and so forth if you just got lucky the first time around. But make no mistake, the UYI albums are not strong enough on their own to get GN'R into the Hall of Fame. AFD, however, is arguably strong enough to get them in just on that one album. Damn thing has a better collection of music than the the Greatest Hits collections for a lot of current Hall of Famers.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

AFD has few rivals in the greatest album of all time category... 

Its AFD, Back In Black, Dark Side of the Moon then everything else...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think that you guys are looking past my point here

yeah afd and lies were huge hits and they made them popular...and they were both in the top 10 billboard simultaneously...uyi marked the first time that a band had 2 album in the top 10 twice (i think) ... anyway its a mute point...my point is that yes AFD and lies made them popular...but UYI propelled them into superstardom

i think its a valid point to say that if UYI never got released that their legacy wouldnt exist ... i dare say that they would've become a cult phenomenon instead of all this talk of 25 years of AFD, 20 years of UYI and HOF nominations

without all the peices in place from 86-93 then nobody would care in 2011...thats what i'm saying ... the controversies, the firings, quittings and hirings. acting as openers, headlining co-headlining w/ 'tallica, ppv's live dvds, videos its all part and parcel man...uyi's and the subsequent tour were the top rung on the ladder though imho...from what i can remember anyway

in 1991 when CW, DC, NR et al were new nobody really gave a shit about AFD anymore....i mean it was there but fans were too busy devouring the new music to bother giving that thing a spin for a LOOONG time, at least thats what it was like in my neck of the woods, the anticipation for those albums was huge and i think the UYI's exceeeded expectations, which is why they became such a force in the rock world

Board footer