You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GN'R Nominated for Hall of Fame

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

April 12th....but we don't know if they are going to get in yet.

Supposedly they announce inductees around December, so only a couple months to find out if they're in or not. Kinda funny. I was looking at last year's nominees and Bon Jovi was nominated (not inducted), but they were dropped from the nominee list this time around. How pissed will Jon be if GN'R gets in before his band? I still remember him ranting about how they are still a big touring act, yet everyone in the media seems to focus on Axl/GN'R.

Being a diehard Bon Jovi and GNR fan.. I can say GNR belong in ahead of Bon Jovi. They def have better music/songs on the whole, more complex/deep etc..

Now whose career would i rather have?? Def Bon Jovi.

Depends on how you look at their careers. GN'R has the better legacy. They BOTH got super rich so it's a question of, "How much money is enough?" The GN'R members aren't hurting for money by any means, but they will have a better reputation in music history by a long shot. When you're dealing with millionaires, the tiebreaker has to be musical legacy.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Since some of are giving your opinions on who should be inducted, my question is; do the persons in the band get inducted?

Did a quick browse on their site and it seems that whenever a band is inducted, it's the band-name that gets inducted. Doesen't seem like RRHOF gives two shits if you're an important member of that band or not.

If every GN'R-member gets inducted, then they'll need a stadium to have enough place for the guys.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Supposedly they announce inductees around December, so only a couple months to find out if they're in or not. Kinda funny. I was looking at last year's nominees and Bon Jovi was nominated (not inducted), but they were dropped from the nominee list this time around. How pissed will Jon be if GN'R gets in before his band? I still remember him ranting about how they are still a big touring act, yet everyone in the media seems to focus on Axl/GN'R.

Being a diehard Bon Jovi and GNR fan.. I can say GNR belong in ahead of Bon Jovi. They def have better music/songs on the whole, more complex/deep etc..

Depends on how you look at their careers. GN'R has the better legacy. They BOTH got super rich so it's a question of, "How much money is enough?" The GN'R members aren't hurting for money by any means, but they will have a better reputation in music history by a long shot. When you're dealing with millionaires, the tiebreaker has to be musical legacy.

Bon Jovi has had no doubt the better career. More longevity(based on them still being together) better relationship with their fan base, way less negativity surrounding them, way less bulshit controversy(ie lawsuits and shit), in 2011 they have much more successful with new album releases, much more success on the touring front. GnR has AFD though but other than that Bon Jovi has had a much better and likely enjoyable career. Anyone who argues that I think is doing so with a massive GnR bias.  Cause really if legacy is your only arguement you're basing what you'd rather have based on what other people think of you and that alone. If you argue GnR has had a better career than Bon Jovi you'd probably argue Nirvana also had a better career.

Bono

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Buckethead,Robin,Pitman and Tommy deserve to go in over Gilby... Gilby was a "Touring" guitarist and only recording he was on was a covers album.

HOF usually goes to the members most thought to contribute to the bands fame/success/popularity.

So I'd imagine Original AFD lineup and MAYBE Sorum although he has zero writing credits.

Dizzy simply played parts written by Axl for the most part.. So not sure bout that one either.

I don't agree. Gilby was part of the Gn'R that people remember and cared about. Nobody gives a fuck about this Gn'R and CD plays no factor in their nomination whatsoever. Post 1994 Gn'R has NOTHING to do with them being nominated and the members from that point on should have no inclusion in this.  I'd hear the argument that Gilby should  not go in but I think it's laughable to suggest Tommy, Bucket and Robin deserve to be in before Gilby.

Honestly what  fuck has Robin, Tommy or Bucket done to deserve to be in the RRHOF other than ride the coatails of the name and Axl?  Having those gusy go in is as ridiculous as having Turjilo(sp?) going in with metallica.  You could say the same for Gilby but at least Gilby toured with them on the biggest tour ever(at the time maybe still is) and did in fact record on an album back in their heyday(argueably) So.....  hell Gilby is in the making of videos and on the only official live dvd's of the band,.

If the arguement  which many are making is Gn'R is getting in based on AFD then no fucking way guys who recorded on CD should  go in. that album isn't puting anyone in the RRHOF ever.

-D- wrote:

HOF usually goes to the members most thought to contribute to the bands fame/success/popularity.

This says it all right here. If this is the case it's the original lineup and that's it. Nobody involved with the CD era Guns should even get a  sniff of the RRHOF with the association to Guns N' Roses. Fuck that.  Buckethead, Robin and Tommy sorry to say have not contributed to the popularity of Guns N' Roses.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Bon Jovi has had no doubt the better career. More longevity(based on them still being together) better relationship with their fan base, way less negativity surrounding them, way less bulshit controversy(ie lawsuits and shit), in 2011 they have much more successful with new album releases, much more success on the touring front. GnR has AFD though but other than that Bon Jovi has had a much better and likely enjoyable career. Anyone who argues that I think is doing so with a massive GnR bias.  Cause really if legacy is your only arguement you're basing what you'd rather have based on what other people think of you and that alone. If you argue GnR has had a better career than Bon Jovi you'd probably argue Nirvana also had a better career.

Yes I would, to an extent anyway. Nirvana was around even less time than GN'R and sold a shitload less records than GN'R. As far as happiness goes, there's no doubt the Bon Jovi dudes have had a better ride over their careers than the GN'R dudes. Then again, Bon Jovi is richer and happier than Led Zeppelin. Doesn't mean they had a better career than Zeppelin, not even close.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Well I guess it depends on your definition of career.  In my mind doing somthing you enjoy, having sucess doing it, and being able to continue doing it 25+ years later is pretty damn successful and a much better acreer than soem band who hit the jackpot with ONE album and then ended a year years later.  Nirvana who struggled for a few years hit it big with one album and then ended. Nirvana did not have a better career than Bon Jovi. they may have made a bigger impact in a  short time but their career is not better.

I'm talking career not legacy. Would be like saying if Sydney Crosby's career ended today while Ovechkin went on to play for the next 15 years but doesn't wina  Stanely Cup that Crosby had the better career.  I don't think so.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with the Appetite line up and Sorum...  I only say that about Sorum because he played drums more for GNR than Steven...   Steven has 20 songs with GNR (Appetite, 7 off Lies, 1 of UYI)...  Sorum with just UYI (not counting Spaghetti Incident) is at 28 songs...  He didn't play on My World or Civil War...

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I'm talking career not legacy. Would be like saying if Sydney Crosby's career ended today while Ovechkin went on to play for the next 15 years but doesn't wina  Stanely Cup that Crosby had the better career.  I don't think so.

Depends on how dominant either of them are. I'm not a hockey fan but I remember the hype around Crosby being the next Gretzky. Has he actually lived up to it?

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Depends on how dominant either of them are. I'm not a hockey fan but I remember the hype around Crosby being the next Gretzky. Has he actually lived up to it?

So far Crosby has lived up to it yes but untill last year it's been a  strong debate as to who was better between him and Ovechkin. Both have insane amount of indivicual awards so far but Crosby has won a  stanley Cup(his Neverind or AFD I suppose) Ovechkin hasn't but if Crosby's career ended today and Ovechkin continued on for the next 10-15 years as one of the league's best players how could you even begin to argue Crosby had a better career?

I guess my arguement is being a  mega hit for a short period doesn't equate to a better career than a  band who's basically been a  mega hit for almost 30 years. Gn'R and Nirvana may have had better career years but not better careers overall. Just my opinion.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Hells naw. The band doesn't even credit him as a member!

Sorry was responding to the question of Hugh.  Didn't realize how afar the thread had gone

Board footer