You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

buzzsaw wrote:

This isn't about the old catalog.  You said several songs on CD were "amazing" to which I replied that if they were, the album would have sold itself.  If you want to say some of them are as good as the crappiest old songs, fine, I'll go with that.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This isn't about the old catalog.  You said several songs on CD were "amazing" to which I replied that if they were, the album would have sold itself.  If you want to say some of them are as good as the crappiest old songs, fine, I'll go with that.

Sorry, but that is non-sense. Quality and commercial viability/success are not one and the same. Just because material isn't commercially viable doesn't mean it isn't good, great or amazing.

Ali

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This isn't about the old catalog.

You made it about the old catalog by saying that chinese was "a decent album that isn't up to GnR standards". big_smile

If you want to say some of them are as good as the crappiest old songs, fine, I'll go with that.

I'll take that for starters but how about some of them are better than the crappiest old songs? 14

I actually like pretty much every GNR song ever, but in terms of songwriting I think chinese is very similar to the other albums in that there's amazing stuff and there's stuff that's not as good but still enjoyable in some regard.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Good points, Ali and monkey.  I too, don't get how people could love the UYI's and hate CD, when I think they're quite similar.  And I'm sure there are plenty of "amazing" albums by established AND unestablished acts out there that the majority of people have no clue about.  Just because "Chinese Democracy" didn't change the world, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a shitty album.  There's plenty of crap that sells well these days because it's marketed, pushed, promoted, etc., etc.  None of which happened with CD.  So to say that it should've been able to stand on its own greatness is a little far-fetched to me.  Name me ONE album that had zero promo and was "successful".  Maybe there are some out there, but not that I'm aware of.

johndivney wrote:

WTF

So Fine is fucking amazing
Used to Love Her on Lies is fucking amazing
YATF is brilliant (& it's a side of GnR that hasn't been represented since UYI1 & the catalogue is the lesser for that)

izzy & duff's songwriting > CITR & Maddy

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Sorry, but that is non-sense. Quality and commercial viability/success are not one and the same. Just because material isn't commercially viable doesn't mean it isn't good, great or amazing.

Ali

No, what is nonsense is saying that an album has "amazing" songs on it, sold a ton initially, then died a quick death.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This isn't about the old catalog.

You made it about the old catalog by saying that chinese was "a decent album that isn't up to GnR standards". big_smile

If you want to say some of them are as good as the crappiest old songs, fine, I'll go with that.

I'll take that for starters but how about some of them are better than the crappiest old songs? 14

I actually like pretty much every GNR song ever, but in terms of songwriting I think chinese is very similar to the other albums in that there's amazing stuff and there's stuff that's not as good but still enjoyable in some regard.

I said this going all the way back to the demos coming out: the songs might be great, it's impossible to tell with all of the crap going on.  Then the album came out and took all of the crap going on to the next level.  Pile that much crap onto UYI and those songs become a mess too, so maybe they are "amazing" songs.  I don't know.  I know an awful lot about music and I can't tell.  That puts me into a position to completely discount anybody that thinks they can.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Good points, Ali and monkey.  I too, don't get how people could love the UYI's and hate CD, when I think they're quite similar.  And I'm sure there are plenty of "amazing" albums by established AND unestablished acts out there that the majority of people have no clue about.  Just because "Chinese Democracy" didn't change the world, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a shitty album.  There's plenty of crap that sells well these days because it's marketed, pushed, promoted, etc., etc.  None of which happened with CD.  So to say that it should've been able to stand on its own greatness is a little far-fetched to me.  Name me ONE album that had zero promo and was "successful".  Maybe there are some out there, but not that I'm aware of.

I love UYI and can't stand at least 1/2 of CD and only like 1 song on the album as it was released.  It's quite easy to do.  CD is the biggest mess of an album I've ever heard in my life to the point that the songs themselves are unlistenable due to all of the shit going on in them.

Name me ONE album that was released by an established b(r)and, sold as much as it did the first two weeks, was released on rock band, then completely stopped selling until the price dropped to less than $2?  We can play this game forever if you want.  It's not going to change how you feel, nor how I feel.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

It's nice to see that Tommy agrees with my assessment of the songs.

Board footer