You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

The Titans won because of Chris Brown, not Young. Come on guys, the Jags suck. Vince is still going to self destruct as starter, but the Titans should have put some wildcat packages together in a game (not warm ups) for VY that would utilize his talents and give the offense a boost and they wouldn't be in this position.

And no QB is going to succeed with the Titans WR's. Especially with that awful defense that makes you constantly have to play catch up.

I was really rooting for Alex Smith today and he looked really good. That's such a heartbreaker that they lose the way they did.

Is it too early to call a Vikings/Colts superbowl?

You mean Chris Johnson, not Brown I think.

Yeah it's too early to make Super Bowl predictions.  That one looks good now but the Saints are still undefeated.  And I don't think Indy has a clear path through the AFC either.

I will say Favre has played great so far and I didn't expect it.  He's broken down the last couple of seasons, either injury or performance wise.  We'll see if he can hold on for a full season this year.  He hasn't had to do as much with the best RB in the game on his side and a pretty darn good defense to boot, so that's a good sign for him.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

The Titans won because of Chris Brown, not Young. Come on guys, the Jags suck. Vince is still going to self destruct as starter, but the Titans should have put some wildcat packages together in a game (not warm ups) for VY that would utilize his talents and give the offense a boost and they wouldn't be in this position.

And no QB is going to succeed with the Titans WR's. Especially with that awful defense that makes you constantly have to play catch up.

ANYTHING was better than what they've been doing all year. Forcing Don Rickles by gunpoint to put a Titans helmet on and run out on the field would have been an improvement, and so is Young.

They needed a change even if its nothing but symbolic.

Yes it is. Upsets are pretty much a certainty in this day and age, and the number 1 teams in each conference at the week 8 point usually don't make it to the SB.

Both are certainly going to the playoffs though.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I was really rooting for Alex Smith today and he looked really good. That's such a heartbreaker that they lose the way they did.

Kerry Collins can't move and when he gets blitzed up the middle he either gets sacked/fumbles or throws it toward the waterboy on the sidelines or a bad int.  Vince can at least move and get a few first downs with his legs.  Teams have to respect that and and that gives the rbs (mostly Chris Johnson) more chance to operate.  If he keeps a few drives alive with his legs, that'll keep the shitty pass d off the field.

Regarding the Titan WR's they're actually better than they were in 2007 when he last started.  They were awful that year.

Vikings and Colts both have red flags they have to overcome.  Colts have never fared well in the playoffs as a top seed with home field.  The book on how to beat them is pretty simple:  Play cover 2 and limit the amount of big pass plays.  Pressure Manning and get him out of a comfort zone.  Play smash mouth running on offense to keep their smaller d line on the field and tire them out.  I think the Broncos, Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers have the formula to beat them.  I'd list the Pats too but their running game is suspect.

On the Vikings:  Farve has fallen apart in the latter part of the season the last few years.  Karl Paymah sucks, if he has to play an extended amount of time their defense will suffer.  Their defense has given up a lot of 4th quarter points.  They still have to beat the Saints (if it comes to that) and the Saints have Darren Sharper who played with MIN last few years and knows their schemes.  I think Philly, NYG, Chicago, and maybe ARZ have good chances of advancing to the Super Bowl out of the WC round as they all posess the formula to win in the postseason.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's never too early to make a call. So much can happen at this stage though.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I think the Broncos, Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers have the formula to beat them.

I think Philly, NYG, Chicago, and maybe ARZ have good chances of advancing to the Super Bowl out of the WC round as they all posess the formula to win in the postseason.

I agree 10000000%. I would be willing to say its more likely for one of those teams to make it than it is Indy/Min.

Like I said when the season started, there's two teams you don't want to go up against in the playoffs....

Baltimore and Chicago. Been that way for years. There's just too much unpredictability there. You may destroy them 50-0, or if their defense happens to show up, they'll clobber you 40-6 with their running game. Being on your home field doesn't mean jack shit, although Chicago does have a terrible record away from home this season that must improve as we head into the home stretch.

Chicago is gonna need one home game in the playoffs. Since there's a good chance of NFC East rivals facing off in that first round(NY,Phi, or Dallas), that would set up a potential Chicago-Atlanta(or Minnesota) showdown in Soldier Field. If we give the NFC East division winner a bye, that throws Arizona or San Francisco into this mix.

Chicago is actually entering "crunch time" on its schedule, because they face playoff contenders every week for a month....

Arizona
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Minnesota

Due to the Atlanta-Cincinnati losses, they need to go 3-1 during that stretch. If they do go 3-1, people have to start paying attention to them. especially if they defeat the Vikings because they play the Vikings at Soldier Field in week 16 as well, which is when the annual Favre implosion is already underway.

Chicago does not have an easy schedule, and if they sneak into the playoffs, they immediately become a potential Cinderella team.

NFC playoffs are going to be UGLY this year, and its why Bears fans are already licking their chops. Get them in, and they have a legit shot and if not, will be a major spoiler for one of these other teams.

Baltimore faces bigger obstacles simply due to its competition. Division wise they are in an almost identical situation as Chicago, and schedule wise, like Chicago they get to face their potential playoff opponents in the regular season.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

James I think you're seeing a different Chicago team then I am. They usually are an extremely tough defense but it's pedestrian this year. I really don't think they have the potential to shut down star offenses like they had in years past. Baltimore is a couple notches above the Bears on the food chain.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think NO is better than Minn anyway. Brees would pick them apart. Not saying NO is going to be in the SB, but they're probably who I'd put money on, over Minn.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

everyone overlooks the pats

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The Pats have exactly one quality win. Always a contender but not the cream of the crop this year.

James

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

James I think you're seeing a different Chicago team then I am. They usually are an extremely tough defense but it's pedestrian this year. I really don't think they have the potential to shut down star offenses like they had in years past. Baltimore is a couple notches above the Bears on the food chain.

The defense is on the decline and has been for years, but you cant discount them just because they aren't the defensive juggernaut they were in 2004.

Minnesota
Green Bay
Philly
NY
Dallas
Arizona
San Francisco
Atlanta

They will face one of those teams in the first round, and have the capability of defeating any of them, especially at home.

Board footer