You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

TO hasn't been the problem at all.

He is still an assclown and Buffalo was NOT a good fit. Now, you bet your ass Jerry Jones/Tony Romo wish they had him back.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

oh god, dallas isnt looking good at all this year

whats with the sub par teams on MNF so far this year?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

whats with the sub par teams on MNF so far this year?

They usually schedule the prime time games on last year's records/results.  MNF is inflexible so they get stuck with that game.  With the topsy turvy nature of the NFL, you're bound to have some really subpar games since they schedule on how they think the games/teams will turn out.

A great set of top heavy games this week with BAL/MIN, and NYG/NO in the early afternoon games and CHI/ATL on SNF and DEN/SD on MNF.  I think the Bears have their work cut out for them in the quest for a playoff spot. 

Bears upcoming schedule:

@ATL (huge game with playoff implications)
@CIN
vs CLE (win)
vs ARZ (have no idea whtat to think about AZ)
@SF (cross country games are always an issue)
vs PHI (see ATL)
@MIN

ATL gets to play the dregs of the NFC south and Phily gets to play DAL and WSH a whole bunch of times.  The good news is that the Bears play both those teams and do control some of their destiny.  GB could also enter the discussion as well.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

denver looks good this year so far...but unless they get a QB they are in trouble ....

Neemo, you just exposed who you really are....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XXTkcFLlKj0/S … jacket.jpg

They're 5-0. The LAST thing they need is a change at QB. Just because he isn't Joe Montana doesn't mean he deserves to be benched. If the Broncos pull him as the starter, I hope they lose every game after doing so. There's no reason to pull a stunt like that, especially since he went through the same thing in Chicago and everyone can see how that worked out for the Bears.

I don't think the Bears are complaining either.  Cutler wasn't the problem in Denver and Orton wasn't the problem in Chicago.  Cutler is clearly the better Athlete and Orton plays smart.  There's nothing wrong with either option.

Put Orton in Denver with last year's defense and they are just as bad as last year, if not worse.  Orton is like Dilfer was with the Ravens when they won the Suber Bowl.  Nothing wrong with that, but it has to be the right situation.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Buffalo should look to get Marty Schottenheimer.  Since they likely won't pay enough for a Gruden or Cowler, and too many teams made dumb decisions to give jobs to young inexperienced coaches (TB, OAK last year) since it worked for Pittsburgh, that's a bad path to go down. Schottenheimer is proven & bona fide to turn a franchise around, even though he's never won a SB.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

TO hasn't been the problem at all.

He is still an assclown and Buffalo was NOT a good fit. Now, you bet your ass Jerry Jones/Tony Romo wish they had him back.

He may be an assclown, but he's not the problem in Buffalo.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i dont understand why they dont jsut throw it up to him so he can try and make the play....isnt that the reason they signed him? to make plays? well give him a chance to. yeah he may be a jackass but hes a damn good receiver regardless

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

If you're going to throw it up, do it to Lee Evans. TO is there to run a slant route over the middle. The Bills have been ignoring WR talent downfield for years. It's Edwards' biggest problem. They call him Captain Checkdown in Buffalo and granted a lot of it has to do with a shitty O-line, but he's never been a confident downfield passer. I wouldn't get rid of Edwards, I just think he needs a coordinator to kick his ass into shape and get him looking downfield.

Jim Kelly is still a huge Bills fan and is on the sidelines a lot, I'd love him to take the QB coach position, especially since Alex Van Pelt was promoted to OC so there isn't really a QB coach right now.

Mike Shanahan would be my ideal coach for the Bills because he always produces great O-lines and the Bills have suffered from a poor offensive line since the Gregg Williams years. But Marty Schottenheimer would be welcomed too. An offensive mind is a must.

ALSO: Remember towards the end of last season when I said the Cowboys problem was talent related? It wasn't a common opinion then, Bono and I got into debate for pages over it, but I'm wondering if anyone else is now willing to admit that the Cowboys aren't really one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Anyone else want to jump on the Broncos bandwagon with me?

I guess you'd have to say they're for real after beating the Pats this week.  They have some tough games left on the schedule starting next week @ San Diego.  They also play road games @ Indy, Philly, and Baltimore later this season and have tough home games against San Diego and Pitt.  But aside from those 6 games the rest of their schedule seems relatively easy.  They should be looking at a 10-6 season at the very least and could be as good as 13-3 if they can sweep their home schedule and win one of those tough road games.  Great job for Josh McDaniels though so far.  Didn't see that one coming at all.  Things got off to such a horrible start there it almost looked like he was gonna be in hot water before training camp even began.  But winning will change everyone's mindset.  Brandon Marshall now loves the guy.  And Kyle Orton just wins baby.  No other way to explain it.  You can call him a system quarterback all you want but he plays pretty darn well if he's surrounded by a good defense and some weapons on offense.  That's all you can ask for really.  Not many QB's can win without help.

And it does look like Cincy may be onto something too.  Shaking up all the divisions in the AFC so far, except for the South where Indy reigns supreme after taking a backseat to the Titans last year.  But the NYJ are leading the east instead of NE, Cincy is ahead of both Balt. and Pitt.  And Denver leads San Diego.  Who would've thunk it.  It's still early though, we'll see which teams can hold on.

And as for the Patriots, Brady seemed to take a step backwards this week.  He played his best game of the season last week against the Ravens but missed some wide open receivers yesterday.  Obviously he's STILL not mentally back to snuff.  I think he's also lacking confidence in the guys he's running with not named Moss, Welker, Watson, and Edelman to an extent.  Sam Aiken hasn't done much of anything and Joey Galloway has been a complete bust.  He doesn't really have that reliable 3rd WR he can trust and lock in on like he has in the past with Jabbar Gafney and Donte Stallworth.  Galloway was supposed to be that guy but he's just been nonexistant.  New England returns home next week.  So far unbeaten at home and winless on the road.  Though for the first time this season they'll face a team with a loss.  In fact they face the Titans, who don't have a win.  So it's the polar opposite of what they've faced so far (Bills 0-0, Jets 1-0, Falcons 2-0, Ravens 3-0, Broncos 4-0)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

What a day. Packers and Vikings are making tonight's game a must win for the Bears. Vikings should not have won that game. tongue We all know Favre will do his annual implosion at season's end, but its scary when teams win those sorts of games. Love or hate Minnesota, they are definitely a contender. Luckily for Baltimore, Cincinnati lost today as well.

Titans need to be banished from the league. I'm not kidding. Fisher should be fired after today's game. It's now 52-0, and the score could easily reach the 70s.

New Orleans are definitely for real this year. They don't have much competition in their division and they will probably be the first team to clinch their division this year.

Board footer