You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Bears may be on an upswing but it's Denver that is looking better for having that trade. They're 4-0 and San Diego is not who they used to be.

That is a WEAK division. Goldie Hawn could take her Wildcats into the AFC West, kick some ass, and clinch that division by week 8.

The trade definitely benefited both teams. I still say if Orton starts that SB, Bears trounce the Colts. Actually, Orton could have taken them to the SB the year before that, but Lovie Smith's hard on for Grossman prevented it from happening.

Yeah, I'd wait to pass judgement on Denver as one of the AFC's elite just yet.  They beat Cincy on a fluke tipped pass.  Beat 2 of the worst teams in the NFL in Oakland and Cleveland, and beat a struggling Cowboys team at home.  Not exactly the toughest schedule to start a season.  Should get a better feel when they host the Patriots this week.

Pats offense is slowly getting back into shape.  Not quite all the way there yet, but they are making strides in the right direction.  The biggest surprise has been the play of the defense.  They've been real good so far, especially the last 2 weeks against pretty good offenses, Atlanta and Baltimore.  The secondary has looked great and the D-line has stopped the run and is starting to get more consistent pressure on the QB.  2nd year undrafted LB, Gary Guyton has played well especially the last 2 weeks after replacing the injured Jerod Mayo.  Mayo was back at practice this week so he may be a few weeks away.  And Junior Seau is back on board to add depth and leadership.  The defense has actually carried the team early on while the offense is still taking shape, once that offense is back full tilt, watch out!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Favre was a beast tonight.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Man the NFC is gonna be a dogfight for both the top 2 seeds and the last 2 wild card spots.

At this point the Vikings, Saints, and Giants are all undefeated and look like great teams.  Eagles, Bears, Packers, Falcons are all in contention for 2 playoff spots and some good team will be left out of the playoffs.  There's going to be a monster game in 2 weeks with NYG@NO.  Both teams should be undefeated(Giants play Raiders and NO has a bye) and the winner should have a leg up on the #1 seed.

I'd say that NYG has a slight advantage over MIN in terms of securing a 1st round bye as they have a slightly easier schedule.  It doesn't really matter anyway as wild card teams have won the superbowl in previous years.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Favre is a great QB. Great. There I said it. Anyone want to disprove me, go ahead try it.

AFC West stinks. I'm beginning to wonder if SD was ever all that great?! Myb 1 or 2 good years, but aside from those seasons, just an average team anywhere else. Never did shit in the playoffs. Denver looks pretty good this year. Awful loss for Buffalo, there's alot of time left, but playing the Jets & NE, they're in a tough division. Their OL sucks. And there coach probably needs to go. Had to beat Miami though, they're not very good I don't think. I'm a bit surprised at how bad Tenn is, and how terrible Cleveland is, just a big mess. Mangini went from Mangenius to myb fired twice in 12 months within 2 or 3 years. NFC has some good teams, NO & NYG look like the best, and Minn is playing at a very high level. If Peterson steps it up late in the year they could be trouble. I'm still not sold on Philly, and they play TB Sunday then Oakland, which will prove nothing. And following that iit's Washington which might prove very little too. (They could fire their coach by then). So it will be a whole month before the Birds prove they are anything more than better than the worst teams in the league. Still, at least their franchise owners aren't the idiots that Al Davis, Dan Snyder & TB's owners are (fired Gruden to control the team & rumored playcalling). Chicago really turned it around from Week 1's debacle. NFC North is a pretty good division.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The Broncos don't get to pick their schedule. Their record is as good as it can possibly be. If you want to talk about the AFC, and discount the West as terrible, then there's a bunch of other teams to immediately throw out the window too - Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Miami, Buffalo. Pittsburgh is only 2-2, New England is only 2-2, Cincinatti looks good but Denver beat them already. I can't say there is a class of elite AFC teams that Denver doesn't belong with, because the dominating AFC teams of the past 4-5 years (NE, San Diego, Pitt, Tenn) don't look that good this year.

Favre is amazing when he's amazing, but I still expect him to burn out in November. Either Peterson and the D will carry them into the playoffs to be beat by a team like the Giants, Eagles or the Saints, or they won't make it at all. Bears and Packers are good teams, Minn is 4-0 but could easily be 2-2 and that division is tough.

Sky Dog wrote:

New England is 3-1 and watch out for Indy at 4-0.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

O yea, sorry I got that wrong, I forgot to factor in bullshit roughing the passer penalties when I calculated their win/loss.

Indy looks great, but it's the age of parity and you can't dismiss the Broncos yet. They haven't done anything wrong.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Favre is a great QB. Great. There I said it. Anyone want to disprove me, go ahead try it.

yeah, everyone and their grandma on this board disagreed with me when i said it would go this way for favre and the vikes. don't hear it so much any more though. the wierd thing is everyone was saying he'd wear out by the second half of the season and we're not even there yet. everyone and their grandma should still be saying that he is gonna fade out at this point and that's not the case.

i can only assume that what has changed peoples' minds is the idea that he looks like someone that is getting better rather than worse, as the season starts to unfold.

i'm still not 100 percent convinced he won't fade but i stand by my prediction that he won't and the vikes win the division.

c.c. - vikes should be 2-2???

the 49er game is the only one they came close to losing. take away that freakish blocked kick for 7 and instantly add 10 points back to mn's score for a 14 point win. and that's not including the resulting momentum swing that allowed san fran to dominate the ensuing quarter.

even if that were false, good teams win the games they shouldn't.

the other three games were won easily. the vikes need to work on putting teams away, yes. they had the same problem last year with letting up when they get a 2 score lead but had green bay, for example, scored those ten points before garbage time the vikings wouldn't have went three and out like they did in response.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

New England is 3-1 and has looked better with each passing week.  Again, we'll see what happens when they travel to Denver this week. 

An interesting, yet meaningless stat, the Patriots have faced an unbeaten team every week so far this season. Next week that will certainly end as they take on the winless (so far) Titans.

The Pats have beaten the Falcons and Ravens the last 2 weeks.  If you want to complain about the officials, be my guest.  I get it, the Patriots never win themselves, they're always getting help from someone.  Whether it's the officials, God, the opposition, a videocamera, artificial crowd noise, messing with the other teams equipment, etc.  But you can't change that, just like Denver can't change their cupcake schedule.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Crabtree is now signed and an official member of the 49ers. Finally this embarrassing holdout is over.

Board footer