You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

faldor wrote:

Unforutnately injuries are inevitable in the NFL.  You gotta have great depth all around.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

Unforutnately injuries are inevitable in the NFL.  You gotta have great depth all around.

No shit. I remember many moons ago, Jim Kelly got injured during one of their runs to the SB. Reich came in and it was like Kelly never even got hurt. Thurman got hurt as well, and Davis came in and kicked all kinds of ass. I think they went 5-0 during that time frame.

Then Kelly got hurt again when it was playoff time and Reich got them to the SB. I'm a Kelly nutswinger through and through, but I think Reich deserved to start that game.

Still blows my mind that team was unable to win one Super Bowl.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Wow, I forget about Reich. I remember that year, 92 season I think. Also, only a few years earlier Phil Simms got hurt, and Jeff Hostetler took them to and won the SB (I'm pretty sure he played, Simms was still hurt IIRC).

Your right Faldor, injuries do happen. IMHO Every team should prepare on 1-2 season ending injuries for their starters. If not more.

A feat in itself James, but they never could win the big one. Definitely had alot of talent. I can still name 7 or 8 starters from that squad. That's saying something when it's 15 years later & it wasn't even my fav team.

James

James wrote:

It was basically an all star team. While the defense was great, it was their downfall. The defense could destroy the entire AFC, but could not handle the NFC powerhouses that had offenses that revolved around a strong running game.

Super Bowl losses....

Giants
Redskins
Dallas twice

Had they went against teams like the 49ers or say some upset happens in the NFC and a team like Philly sneaks in, Bills would have destroyed them. While the Bills had a great running game, it revolved around the pass and they were excellent at blowouts, and specifically shootouts. Those NFC juggernauts controlled the game, and took Buffalo out of their element. Cant beat NY, Wash, or Dallas 40-0 when Emmitt Smith is getting 9-10 yard runs per play. By the time you blink, they're beating you 21-3 and the game is pretty much over.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah I am pretty bummed about the Kenny Phillips news. He was set to climb the ladder and become one of the top safeties in the game. The worst part is that there is some talk that it could be career threatening. Man I hope not.

James

James wrote:

Titans need to bench Collins in an attempt to save their season. He's always been a workhorse, but is mainly the "go to guy" when you have nobody else available. He's dragging the entire team down at this point and if Fisher doesn't have the intelligence to bench him next week, Fisher's job should be on the line.

I realize Collins had a Cinderella season last year and as Kanye would say, "I'm happy for ya", but its time to be put out to pasture and they were insane for extending his contract.

Last year was an anomaly. While Collins has had some damn good years, he was always a solid backup at best. In the mistake prone department, he makes Favre look like Joe Montana.

Watch out for Baltimore. They are currently the hot team of the AFC.

Huge win for the Vikings. That last pass was reminiscent of Montana or Elway. Congrats to Favre. You don't see many plays like that anymore in this era of parity.

Congrats to the Lions for their first win since the Jurassic period.

Tampa gives new meaning to the word suck.

Cleveland's recent window to a SB is officially nailed and painted shut.

Philly didn't need to sign Vick. What a waste.

James

James wrote:

Thank God Da Bears won. 9 Wasn't pretty but who gives a shit. Next stop Detroit, who are flying high on their one game winning streak. 16

Cutler isn't flashy, but so far he is doing what Grossman should have done years ago. This team never needed a Montana to win. It just needs a Mcmahon.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

JaBust Russell continues his miserable 2009 season. Despite improving his accuracy a bunch this week, he still has a horrible stat line. Check it out...

12/21 for 61 yards, 0 TD's, and 2 INT's. All of this adds up to a QB rating of 22.6 for the day. 16

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

JaBust Russell continues his miserable 2009 season. Despite improving his accuracy a bunch this week, he still has a horrible stat line. Check it out...

12/21 for 61 yards, 0 TD's, and 2 INT's. All of this adds up to a QB rating of 22.6 for the day. 16

My grandma could put up better stats than that.

Shameful that someone of such ability is even allowed to make a nickel in this league.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Titans need to bench Collins in an attempt to save their season. He's always been a workhorse, but is mainly the "go to guy" when you have nobody else available. He's dragging the entire team down at this point and if Fisher doesn't have the intelligence to bench him next week, Fisher's job should be on the line.

I realize Collins had a Cinderella season last year and as Kanye would say, "I'm happy for ya", but its time to be put out to pasture and they were insane for extending his contract.

Last year was an anomaly. While Collins has had some damn good years, he was always a solid backup at best. In the mistake prone department, he makes Favre look like Joe Montana.

They have nothing to lose at this point.  The defense actually played pretty well today.  Special teams were abysmal today.  I blame that all on Fisher.  In all 3 games, Collins has had chances to either tie the game or win it in the fourth quarter.  He has failed all three times.  If you bring the blitz on him, he gets happy feet and the accuracy goes south.

They're kinda screwed by the fact that Vince Young has a big bonus due next year.  They might as well see if he has anything at QB.  I think Bud Adams could force Fisher to play Vince if they continue to suck (like he did in 2006).

Huge win for the Vikings. That last pass was reminiscent of Montana or Elway. Congrats to Favre. You don't see many plays like that anymore in this era of parity.

That was a great play.  The NFC North is a very competitive divison.  I'm looking forward to Bears-Vikings and Packers-Vikings.

The end of PIT-CIN was great too.

Thank God Da Bears won. 9 Wasn't pretty but who gives a shit. Next stop Detroit, who are flying high on their one game winning streak. 16

Cutler isn't flashy, but so far he is doing what Grossman should have done years ago. This team never needed a Montana to win. It just needs a Mcmahon.

The defense played pretty well but their depth at LB is getting thin with Hillenmeyer's injury during the game.  Also, who made the suggestion to the Seahawks to wear those blinding neon jerseys?

Board footer