You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Bucs got spanked

Christ do they suck

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I think TB may be one of the worst teams in the league this year. New coach, terrible start. That's usually a bad combination. NE definitely isn't the same (yet). Odd though, I think Tom Brady hadn't lost a regular season game from 2006-2009, I'm sure that's a span we'll  never see again in our lifetimes. Although granted 2008 was due to injury but what are the odds someone will go 16-0 then miss the finish of every game the next season. Or miss the finish of every game in a season then go 16-0. Well, you know what I mean. Adrian Peterson looks like a stud RB, instant Top 10er if his career goes pretty well.

Eagles are tough to judge, blowout win, blowout loss. I think 1-1 is the defining term as in 8-8. We'll see. Glad Kolb did ok, I was so sick of people here being down on the guy.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I bet you guys that half way though the season or maybe little later, Brady will be tearing up the league again. Its just gonna take him some time to get used to things again.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I think he'll be good again, and I think when his career is over he'll be one of the greats, myb better than Peyton if he wins another SB. But my question is has NE become just Tom Brady & his revceivers??  Is there a bad OL, lack of RB, and a pretty bad defense on that team as well. We'll see, I'm not sold they will definitely be great yet. We'll have to see. They very well are a threat though, no doubt about that. Just not a lock.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Brady's biggest problem on Sunday was that he was missing his blitz buster, Red Raider Wes Welker. He's the guy that they dump the ball off to on quick slants in order to slow down the other team's blitz scheme. Without him in there, the defense was pinning its ears back all damn day against Brady and he didn't have anywhere near enough time to throw deeper routes to the likes of Moss.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Brady's biggest problem on Sunday was that he was missing his blitz buster, Red Raider Wes Welker. He's the guy that they dump the ball off to on quick slants in order to slow down the other team's blitz scheme. Without him in there, the defense was pinning its ears back all damn day against Brady and he didn't have anywhere near enough time to throw deeper routes to the likes of Moss.

He did miss Welker, no doubt.  Although, rookie Julian Edelman did his best Welker impersonation and led the team in catches (8) and yards (98).  That's not too shabby.  However, despite those solid numbers he wasn't fully up to speed on the offense, often lining up incorrectly.  He was constantly getting yelled at to get in the correct position.  He performed well though. 

With Rex Ryan coming to the Jets, they're basically running the same defense as the Ravens.  And let's not forget that a BAD Ravens team almost knocked off the unbeaten Patriots on a Monday nighter 2 seasons ago.  Brady has certain teams and defenses he struggles against even when he's not coming off a lost season.  The Jets have looked like world beaters these first 2 weeks and Darrelle Revis looks like the best CB in the league right now after completely shutting down both Andre Johnson and Randy Moss in consecutive weeks.  You get that kind of pressure on a QB and a shutdown corner like that and you're gonna give a lot of teams fits.  I didn't give the Jets enough credit coming into the game, and I imagine the Patriots didn't either.  That won't happen again.  They will certainly be taken seriously by the entire league from here on out.  One week may be a fluke, but 2 weeks in a row of a completely dominating defense against 2 very good offenses is no mistake.

As for the Patriots problems.  I hate to question Bill Belichick and the coaching staff, but I seriously think they need to make a commitment to the running game.  They've actually run the ball alright this year when they've tried, but they pass 80% of the time.  You can't expect to win that way, especially when the passing game isn't clicking on all cylindars.  Fred Taylor averaged 5.8 ypc, Maroney 3.8 ypc.  Not bad, but that was only on 14 total carries combined.  It reminded me of the Super Bowl loss.  They were determined to win the game by passing and completely abondoning the running game.  You have to at least keep the defense honest, again if you're not lighting it up through the air, which they weren't. 

And the defense has played decently, although against 2 average offenses at best.  They've shown a complete lack of a pass rush, which I worried about coming into the season.  Sanchez had ALL day to survey the field and find his receivers yesterday after the first quarter.  It was ridiculous.  I could've completed some of those passes without hesitation because of the protection he was getting.

Brady is still on the comeback trail.  Many people (me included) expected him to bounce back a little quicker than he has.  It was naive to think that way, and I realize that now.  But for that reason, I'd take some pressure off him and get that running game going.  Unless they're thinking the more passes he throws early on the more rust he'll knock off.  Or, again, if they just think their defense is so bad that they'll have to score early and often.  But you can't go into the game with a defeatist attitude like that and you have to play to win THAT week, you can't be looking ahead to week 5 or 6 when Brady MAY be back to normal.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Bears are gonna have an ugly season. Gonna literally have to take it one week at a time and see how the mop flops. Barely beat the Steelers, and luckily they get Seattle next week but that sure as hell isn't a guaranteed win.

Their upcoming five games are....

Seattle
Detroit
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Cleaveland

They need to go 3-2 during that period because it gets a bit tougher at the midway point. Anything less than 3-2 and they are in trouble.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

That's a pretty favorable 5 games, minus ATL. I think SEA & TB are gonna be 2 of the worst teams in the league. & I don't think Cinci or CLE seem very good so far.

As for last weeks games, it must have been a great day in NY. Giants beat the Cowboys & Jets beat NE.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Neither of those teams are from New York, PaSnow. Although New York state did go 1 for 1 in its NFL games this weekend, so good week I suppose.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

True, I meant NYC fans I suppose.  Yeah Buffalo made it 3 for 3, a trifecta I suppose, but NYG & NYJ seemed to do it against their biggest rivals probably, whereas TB probably isn't that high on Buffalos radar.

Board footer