You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

PaSnow wrote:

I agree about prob being a 2nd rounder next year. Do you think he knows that? No way he's drafted higher than he was next year after sitting out a whole season & basically proving he's a dope. Character is a key part of NFL drafting nowadays after mistakes like Vince Young, Pacman Jones etc.

Does he have something against SF or does he just want more money than that WR from Oakland?!  If that's the case he's an idiot. The players association should step in & tell this guy either sign or you'll be banned. Those unions step right in when they see the team at fault, but when it's they player they turn the other way.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Fuck Jay Cutler!!! Can't believe they even had the nerve to call this clown "the franchise". Gonna be a rough season for Chicago. With just one competent QB this decade, Bears could have been a dynasty.

I don't know if this defense can carry them the whole season. If they do, gonna have to be a LOT of 9-6 victories.

Getting rid of Thomas Jones worked wonders for this team...

Urlacher's out for the year now with a dislocated wrist, so that's another hurdle for them to overcome.  I've was unimpressed with their O-Line as well they got blown up a few times and Orlando Pace just looks old.

Their WR core lacks a true #1 guy.  Bennett looks like a possesion guy and both Knox and Hester look like guys who can only run go routes. 

Their front four played real well and some of the secondary guys played better than expected.

Does he have something against SF or does he just want more money than that WR from Oakland?!  If that's the case he's an idiot. The players association should step in & tell this guy either sign or you'll be banned. Those unions step right in when they see the team at fault, but when it's they player they turn the other way.

Pa Snow--Crabtree's just a primadonna wide reciever.  Every other team has signed their #1 pick including the cheap Bengals.  I don't know if you know this but prior to the draft he visited Cleveland (which held the #5 overall pick) and after that visit they removed him from their draft board.  Their reasoning was that he was a primadona and a diva.

If he doesn't sign by week 9 he is ineligible to play the rest of the season--so the onus is on him to sign.  He won't be going #10(or higher) next year and if he's that delusional to believe that then good luck to him.

Eagles totally surprised me. I didn't expect a blowout victory. At all. Defense looked really good & OL played well. I'm not saying it's indicitive of their season & record, but it was a really good start.

Tough game against the Saints next week, good luck.  One last comment on Carolina-they stupidly signed Delhomme to an extension after last year's playoff debacle against the Cardinals.  They also traded away their first rounder next year.  So, they are not likely to get help on that front either.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

big game tonight CC! 5

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I know you mentioned it 'fro, but I figured I'd post the article. Urlacher done.

Bears LB Urlacher out for season
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
5 minutes ago

Buzz up! 95 PrintLAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP)—Finally healthy after two years of neck and back problems, Brian Urlacher(notes) gave everyone a blast from the past during the regular season opener, lowering his shoulder and plowing over Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes).

His season was off to a good start. And then, it was over.

The Chicago Bears’ star linebacker underwent surgery Monday to repair a dislocated right wrist and will not be back this season—a major blow for a team with high expectations.

Team spokesman Jim Christman confirmed the bad news for the Bears. There was no immediate word from Urlacher other than a text message to the Chicago Tribune that said simply: “season is over.”

Urlacher, a 10-year veteran, apparently was injured in the first quarter of Sunday night’s 21-15 loss at Green Bay making a tackle on Packers running back Ryan Grant(notes). He played in the second quarter, but left on the Packers’ first drive of the second half.

While the arrival of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler(notes) sent expectations in Chicago soaring, the Bears were also counting on a healthy Urlacher to help them get back to the playoffs after missing postseason the past two years.

The six-time Pro Bowler, now 31, appeared to be in better shape after being limited by a bad back and neck the past two years, and he was off to a good start on Sunday.

He looked like his old self when he flattened Rodgers just as the quarterback released a pass downfield that a leaping Donald Driver(notes) juggled and dropped. Later in the quarter, Urlacher rolled over Grant while making one of his three tackles and briefly shook his wrist before walking away with what looked like nothing more than a minor injury.

Now the Bears are without the longtime face of the franchise and a stalwart run-stuffer in a division with Grant and Vikings star Adrian Peterson.

With Urlacher out, Hunter Hillenmeyer(notes) could see more time after replacing him on Sunday.

If the Bears look for outside help, one option might be former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Derrick Brooks(notes). The 36-year-old Brooks, who was cut by Tampa Bay in February, has a good relationship with Bears coach Lovie Smith dating to his days on Tampa Bay’s staff.

Zach Thomas(notes), who was cut by Kansas City earlier this month, might also be a possibility.

Chicago could also be short-handed in other areas, too.

Tight end Desmond Clark(notes) took a hard hit after making a catch in the third quarter and left the game with a back injury. Left guard Frank Omiyale(notes) also went down for several minutes moments later after spraining his ankle and limping off the field.

Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa(notes) also left in the first half with a knee injury, but Urlacher’s injury creates a big hole on a defense that was trying to regain its dominant form after two mediocre seasons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bummer, hate seeing players go down so early. Didn't know he was in his 10th year already. Time sure flies.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

^I'm not only a Bears fan, but he was my fantasy team Linebacker.

DoubleFuck.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Quarterback Jeff Garcia back with the Philadelphia Eagles
Posted by The Associated Press Monday September 14, 2009, 6:07 PM

Eagles coach Andy Reid on Monday confirmed the team has signed Garcia, a 10-year veteran who played for Philadelphia in 2006 and went 5-1 in six starts while McNabb was injured. The team needed a backup quarterback in case McNabb, who suffered a broken rib in Philadelphia's 38-10 win over Carolina in the season opener, is not able to play this week against the New Orleans Saints.

Third-year pro Kevin Kolb filled in for McNabb and will start this week if McNabb is out, Reid said.

Philadelphia's other quarterback, Michael Vick, is not eligible because he was suspended for the first two regular-season games as the last part of the NFL's penalty for his role in a dogfighting ring.
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewsspo … ack_w.html

----------------------

From PhiladelphiaEagles.com:

Garcia Ready To Go
Jeff Garcia was on his way to do some TV work for the NFL Network when his agent called on Monday. Aware that Donovan McNabb suffered a fractured rib on Sunday in the opening game of the season, Garcia knew what it meant: It was time to return to Philadelphia.

"He mentioned that the Eagles were interested in signing me to come back and I had the driver turn around and take me back home," said Garcia, who helped lead the Eagles to the playoffs in 2006 when he took over for an injured McNabb down the stretch. "I know that this is a different situation, the circumstances are different, the situation is different, but for my family and myself, it is definitely an exciting time, an exciting opportunity. I've already exchanged messages with Donovan.I am excited about coming back to the Eagles, but I am not excited that it comes at the expense of his injury.

"Just to be able to come back to an organization that I have such memories with and have had a great experience with in the past, and to be a part of a team that seems to have the direction that everybody would want to be a part of, whether it's for a week or two weeks or an entire season, I'm excited about the opportunity."

Garcia was released by Oakland on September 5 as the Raiders got down to 53 players on their active roster and has been waiting for a call since. It came on Monday and Garcia will be in Philadelphia and ready to go to work on Tuesday.

He is expected to be a backup here for as long as the situation requires. McNabb is injured with the fractured rib and his availability is uncertain for Sunday against the Saints. If McNabb can't go, Kevin Kolb would start and Garcia would be the backup. One part of the process that should be easy to resume is the playbook.

"I think, based upon by tutelage in the West Coast system throughout my career and when I was in Philly three seasons ago, it was very natural for me and very comfortable for me, the entire offensive system is pretty much what I had done when I was in San Francisco and then when I spent the one year in Detroit under (Steve) Mariucci (former head coach), so many similarities between the two offenses. Having been with Marty Mornhinweg when I was in San Francisco, there is definitely some crossover," said Garcia.

"So as far as a team that I could go to where I feel like, offensively I can blend right in without really missing much of a beat, this is the team to do that with. I do feel like I can just step right in and everything will sound familiar and be very comfortable for me."

Garcia is also OK with whatever role the Eagles have for him.

"I'm OK with whatever helps the team win," he said. "That's really the main thing here. Kevin is a guy who has been with the team now into his third year. He has been able to develop and learn the system. This is a great opportunity for him to step on to the field and get the opportunity to get some snaps and get an entire week of practice with the first team, which is always important.

"It's just a matter of me coming in and trying to help out where I can help out and help him where I can help and do whatever I can do to make sure that this team continues to go in the direction that everybody expects it to go in."

-- Posted by Dave Spadaro, 7:30 p.m., September 14

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wouldn't be a true start to the NFL season, without McNabb getting injured.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I agree.  But all this tells me is that his injury is a lot worse than is being let on.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Urlacher injury is devastating. Even if just symbolically. He's pretty much the face/leader of the team. Will be interesting to see if they can recover from this. If they start losing a few games, season is over and its time to just jockey for draft position.

Chances of a Vikings run has just increased.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the pats/bills game was a good game...too bad for the bills they fumbled that return at the end

Board footer