You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

Neemo wrote:

yeah bruschi retired earlier this off season as well...dunno maybe they feel they have the talent waiting in the wings...we'll see

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Patriots defense may be a problem if they get caught in a playoff game against a dominating defensive unit (like Pittsburgh) because I think eventually they will crack. But with that offense they usually will only have to keep their opponent between 24-30 points and they'll win. And considering how pitiful the offense in Buffalo, New York and Miami is they'll get the division without even trying.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the regular season.  They should win the division quite easily as long as nothing crazy happens like it did last year.  But I'm worried come playoff time.  Hopefully by then, they'll have made enough strides on defense and some of the younger guys will get more comfortable and play at a higher level.  It could be ugly early on, a lot of 38-30 games.  I'd take the OVER in Pats games early in the season if I was a gambler.  They're built similar to the Colts teams before they won the Super Bowl.  I just hope their defense hits its stride and gets on a roll at the right time, like the Colts did that year.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Seymour still hasn't reported to Oakland.  Apparently he is NOT happy.

Reports: Five-day letter sent to Seymour
Link|Comments (2) Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff September 10, 2009 10:21 PM
According to reports out of the Bay Area and ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Oakland Raiders have sent Richard Seymour a "five-day letter," tonight notifying him that he has five days to report to the Raiders or he'll be placed on the reserve/did not report list, which would put him out for the season.

Placement on the list would also prevent Seymour, who is in the final year of his contract, from earning another accrued season of NFL service. Without 2009 as an accrued season, Seymour would not be a eligible for unrestricted free agency following this season.

The Raiders decision to send Seymour the letter is good news for the Patriots. It is basically an admission by Oakland that Seymour, who was traded to Oakland on Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick, is now their property and their problem, not that of the Patriots.

Furthermore, under the collective bargaining agreement the Raiders could go after the pro-rated portion of Seymour's signing bonus from the $30-plus million deal he signed with the Patriots in 2006.

Seymour was scheduled to make $3.685 million this year, but carry a $9.79 million cap charge, as the result of pro-rated workout and bonus payments.

Communist China

Alright first game of the year, but once again it is clear that the overtime system needs a change. Both teams should get a chance with the ball. Simple as that. Looking forward to Sunday and exactly Monday!!

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Alright first game of the year, but once again it is clear that the overtime system needs a change. Both teams should get a chance with the ball. Simple as that. Looking forward to Sunday and exactly Monday!!

I disagree, I like sudden death and that you have to play just like it's a regular game, not just basically red zone drills.

This game was arguement for my ideal NFL where no scoring is done by kickers.  If you want points you have to earn them.  You get to keep one guy to kick off and punt.  I still haven't decided if it could be the kickers we have now, or if it would have to be an actual football player who just has another job to do now.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

The only way to change NFL overtime is to make it another quarter. I am not big on sudden death, but it's light years better than the college overtime system.

On the game, I dont understand Tennessee's defensive calls in the 4th quarter and overtime. There was virtually no pressure from the front four. I know you cant blitz every down, but they were getting killed out there.

Communist China

You don't need to do the college system, you can just have it so each team sees the ball at least once. If the team who gets it first doesn't score, no change. If they do, then the other team gets 1 chance to go down the field and tie or score. After that, it's sudden death.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

McNabb went down with broken ribs today...  the Vick soap opera continues more interesting than expected.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, he's going to have the fastest comeback from broken ribs ever. 16

The Redskins are a mess. How the hell can you go five yards past the line of scrimmage and still throw it? They should have made the Cutler deal... And got rid of Zorn.

Board footer