You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Brain in Modern Drummer (May 2009)

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Neither.  I really find it amazing that some people still hold out hope.  In some ways I really admire those that can believe in something when everything says otherwise.  Logic be damned, they are going to grasp for straws until there are no straws left.

It shows how many fanatical nuts there are out there. These people apparently invested a portion of their lives waiting for this album, and believing that Axl Rose was gonna come back and rule the rock world.

Well it didn't happen, so what do they have to live for now? The album's out, it's over.

Lose Your Illusion

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

What would we do without you?......like a breath of fresh air....Mr Happy-Go-Lucky...sunshine on a cloudy day! 19

Reality can be a bitch sometimes, but it's easier when you know it's coming.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Neither.  I really find it amazing that some people still hold out hope.  In some ways I really admire those that can believe in something when everything says otherwise.  Logic be damned, they are going to grasp for straws until there are no straws left.

It shows how many fanatical nuts there are out there. These people apparently invested a portion of their lives waiting for this album, and believing that Axl Rose was gonna come back and rule the rock world.

Well it didn't happen, so what do they have to live for now? The album's out, it's over.

Lose Your Illusion

What's funny is people like lofton (no offense, just using you as an example) still hold out hope despite all the posts he's made acknowledging the reality of the whole CD era.  I don't think they are (all) crazy fanaticals.  Some of them get it, but still "hope" for better things even though they admit it won't happen.  That is what I envy...I just can't do it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think the best we can hope for now is a reappearance in the top 200...if anything...but thats if they rerelease it and tour

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That this band has nothing like the sales power of a giant like U2 does not mean it is not a viable entity. There are a ton of bands that sell less records than GNR just did, yet are considered as ongoing propositions in the industry.

Let me know exactly how much money these "ongoing propositions" are receiving for their "selling less records than GNR just did" and you'll have an answer.  When you're done with that, let me know if there would even be a possibility for a next record if the label didn't release this one and the next one as Guns N' Roses.

Buzz..i'm not sure of the relevanceof what the band's personal cut of profits is, and that information isn't easily publicly availiable.

My point is that CD outsold a number of other bands 2008 releases, bands such as Avenged Sevenfold and Buckcherry. Would you consider those bands dead and finished now?

Sure..compared to massive acts like U2, or like the historical GNR, then  the numbers arn't good, but my point is these numbers are plenty enough to justifty future endevours.

You are accusing me and others of being a crazed fan boy. But this has nothing to do with my personal like of the band. I told you GNR sold #15 highest on the worldwide 2008 charts and you tell me that's not enough for future interest? It could be Billy Ray Cyrus or my Grandma who sold #15 and some record companies will be interested in the future. It's a crap result if you want to be the biggest band in the world, but if you want to be a viable band in the music industry it's more than enough. How could it not be? If 15th highest isn't what is? Only the top 10 bestsellers world wide get to make another album???

I have no problem with you being realist about certain issues and fighting against the fan-boy mentality that thinks axl is god come to save us. But in all fairness businesswise....this album wasn't the monster some hoped...but it's moved enough units to easily justify future albums.

The name issue you allude to doesn't seem relevant to me, other than it's another reason record companies will show continued interest, as a certain amount of sales would come from the name alone.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Madonna and Marayah (sp?) Carey were both released from their deals if memory serves me right.  I'm not referring to the band's personal income.

CB to Libertad will = CD to whatever comes 10 years from now.  Had CD been released as a solo album, it wouldn't have sold half of the little it did sell.  The sales came from curiosity that no longer exists.  People heard Axl's vision and responded with a clear and resounding no thank you.  So the name issue is always relevant.  And if you don't think the record company knows this???

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That this band has nothing like the sales power of a giant like U2 does not mean it is not a viable entity. There are a ton of bands that sell less records than GNR just did, yet are considered as ongoing propositions in the industry.

Let me know exactly how much money these "ongoing propositions" are receiving for their "selling less records than GNR just did" and you'll have an answer.  When you're done with that, let me know if there would even be a possibility for a next record if the label didn't release this one and the next one as Guns N' Roses.

Buzz..i'm not sure of the relevanceof what the band's personal cut of profits is, and that information isn't easily publicly availiable.

My point is that CD outsold a number of other bands 2008 releases, bands such as Avenged Sevenfold and Buckcherry. Would you consider those bands dead and finished now?

Sure..compared to massive acts like U2, or like the historical GNR, then  the numbers arn't good, but my point is these numbers are plenty enough to justifty future endevours.

You are accusing me and others of being a crazed fan boy. But this has nothing to do with my personal like of the band. I told you GNR sold #15 highest on the worldwide 2008 charts and you tell me that's not enough for future interest? It could be Billy Ray Cyrus or my Grandma who sold #15 and some record companies will be interested in the future. It's a crap result if you want to be the biggest band in the world, but if you want to be a viable band in the music industry it's more than enough. How could it not be? If 15th highest isn't what is? Only the top 10 bestsellers world wide get to make another album???

I have no problem with you being realist about certain issues and fighting against the fan-boy mentality that thinks axl is god come to save us. But in all fairness businesswise....this album wasn't the monster some hoped...but it's moved enough units to easily justify future albums.

The name issue you allude to doesn't seem relevant to me, other than it's another reason record companies will show continued interest, as a certain amount of sales would come from the name alone.

Wait Avenged Sevenfold? All they released was a b-sides album...Of course that didn't sell much.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Madonna and Marayah (sp?) Carey were both released from their deals if memory serves me right.  I'm not referring to the band's personal income.

CB to Libertad will = CD to whatever comes 10 years from now.  Had CD been released as a solo album, it wouldn't have sold half of the little it did sell.  The sales came from curiosity that no longer exists.  People heard Axl's vision and responded with a clear and resounding no thank you.  So the name issue is always relevant.  And if you don't think the record company knows this???

Well Axl said himself that the record company wasn't too enthusiastic about promoting the album, so I wouldn't say the relationship is great.  Maybe they don't believe newGNR can sell big time numbers.  But they make a pretty penny still from the back catalog, so I doubt they'd drop the band from the label.

And while I agree the public reception to CD wasn't great, there was basically no promo, no videos, no public appearances, no tour.  It got a lot of attention the first month plus out but since then things have gone silent.  I know, I know, more excuses.  I'm sorry, but I just don't know if the reception would've been better or not if more of an effort had been made on the promotional trail.  IF CD gets a second push here, we may find out, hopefully.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Not sure about the b-sides album for Avenged Sevenfold, but they released their self titled album in October 2007.  That's the last album of theirs that I'm aware of.

Board footer