You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Great Interview with Slash on UYI I and II

Axlin16 wrote:

I remember that comment now that you bring it up, and I believe when I made it, I hadn't heard that acoustic version of the song with Myles on vocals that was available on Slash 2010 Deluxe Edition.

It really changed my opinion on the song. I realized that what I really hated about the song was Scott's lyrics.

So ultimately, I think there's a good song in there INSTRUMENTALLY, and it really needs the Axl-touch to it, and it could be something really special.

But Scott's lyrics are fucking atrocious and I stand by that.

What we were discussing earlier in this thread (and disagreed on) was Slash's instrumental work on the song being crap. That I do not agree with.

The scary thing is the song, even good, still needs a tad more work and it was Slash's "big gun". Mainly re-written lyrics, and probably some work on the melody.

I don't really see a big issue with acknowledging the song's merits, while downing it's faults, considering we've been doing it to Axl and his CD songs for a decade. Kind of like This I Love not needing a guitar solo.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Ture although the guitar solo in This I Love absolutely saves that song in my opinion haha.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Bullshit, that orchestra is amazing and one of the best things under the Guns N' Roses name.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Bullshit, that orchestra is amazing and one of the best things under the Guns N' Roses name.

14:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno if you guys are kidding but I think the orchestra thing is cool. Makes me interested to hear what else Axl would compose.

Sky Dog wrote:

just tracklisted this on my ipod...yeah, album of monsters....nothing under 5 minutes. Singles could have been You Could Be Mine and November Rain. 60 minutes of music...just right!

Civil War
Locomotive
Breakdown
The Garden
November Rain
You Could Be Mine
Estranged
Coma

11 9

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That is TIGHT. Years and years ago I put together an 11-track custom UYI for my truck that featured...

Civil War
Yesterdays
Don't Cry [original]
Bad Obsession
Breakdown
Locomotive
The Garden
November Rain
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
Coma

All it's really missing is Dead Horse. But you can alternate out Yesterdays & Dead Horse, depending on which song you prefer. You also can alternate out Bad Obsession and Pretty Tied Up, depending on your preference.

I don't care what anyone says, had that tracklist above been released as one album "Use Your Illusion", it would've been the greatest thing under the name  Guns N' Roses, and would've far eclipsed AFD.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I agree, that collection is such a huge step up for the band in terms of complexity and quality. The lyrics are screen plays in themselves while the guitars are a players wet dream.
Iif Axl then got the Contraband material after this as part of a more modern sounding GNR and put his material and lyrical/vocal magic to it that would have been an amazing three album run.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

November Rain can no longer justify a 13,7% share of such an album. Great song, nothing wrong with it, but it's not even the best epic on UYI1.

Yes, I remove their biggest hit from the album and it still kicks AFD's ass.

No particular order.

YCBM
Locomotive
Estranged
Dust N' Bones
Coma
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
14 Years
RNDTH

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Interesting list. I have never cared for RNDTH or Don't Damn Me tho. Don't get me wrong, I think they are 'good' songs, but they're just B-sides to me. I kinda still can't believe they opened UYI1 with RNDTH. Perfect Crime would've been better to me.

Don't Damn Me is mixed bag to me. I really enjoy that whole breakdown part of "and I know 'ya don't wanna hear me cryin'" The song around it, it's okay. Slash's stuff is great. Everybody always told me how it was Axl's finest hour lyrically. I always thought lyrically it was hair metal cheesy.

Board footer