You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Townsville, Australia - Dec.1, 2010 (Reid Park)

monkeychow wrote:

Although a GNR/U2 would be fun for people who enjoy both bands I think it's actually a bad idea for two reasons:

#1. Realisticly, according to all 'evidence' in the media, Axl leads a nocturnal lifestyle, and opening for U2 would involve significant periods of consistant start times that would require him to modify that lifestyle. As a sub part of this problem, it's also well documented that he doesn't like to perform until he is in a certain mindset, and that achieving that can sometimes cause delays to start times. People can choose to interpret it negatively and say he's being a brat, or positively and say it's because he want's to give his best peformance, or some combination. But whatever the view point - from a simply pragmatic point of view - baised on previous tours and all evidence - it seems that it wouldn't work having GNR open for U2. Meanwhile, U2 are at a level where it's nonsensical for them to follow anyband to the stage.

#2. Demographicaly I'm not sure it's well suited. There are fans like you who enjoy both. Hell, I think you said earlier Axl enjoys both. I don't mind the odd u2 song. However, more broadly, I think GNR is generally a heavier sounding band than u2 overall - especially the AFD tracks which are likely to feature. While I myself think they are both amazing frontmen, I'm not sure all fans of bonos clean cut voice, will go for Axl's amazing raspy screams. I love them, but I know chicks like my sister would happily go to u2 but bail within minutes of the opening notes of jungle. Not to open a can of worms - but I actually think a band like Bon Jovi would be demographically more suited to opening for U2 than GNR. They're just that little bit more pop-rock-radio friendly.

So while it's a fun idea in theory, I'm not too sure it could ever really work out.

I think things work better when GNR can do things it's own way, by closing the show, and the GNR/Korn tour is a great vechile for the band to rock Australia.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it also works because it takes an enormous pressure off of Axl. If he can show up on-time, all he's gotta do is a show chock full of hits, and wake up the crowd.

Then once he's done, U2 can come in and slow it down and do their amazing stage show, and Axl can run off and party, knowing they can just pick up their check and have fun.

It might not be a bad idea if Axl or U2 would have any interest. It's nothing but an absolute honor to open for a band like U2, which for it's generation is on the status of a Stones or Zeppelin (sorry Kanye).

Plus it assures Axl of a massive audience. If it was reversed and was a double-headline, Axl would have a MASSIVE exodus after U2 finished, because U2 appeals to a much broader audience.

Only way it works is GN'R opens for U2. Plus it'd be an absolute insult for U2 to open for a GN'R cover band.

I also don't know if Bono or Edge have any issue with being associated with a fake GN'R. Mick Jagger didn't seem to in 2006 when he wanted GN'R to open those Stones shows, but Robert Plant did when he'd only accept a reunited GN'R to open for a hypothetical Zeppelin reunion tour.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Guns N' Roses music is classic rock now and so is U2. The demographics would mesh just fine. U2 has had much heavier bands than themselves open for them throughout the years. Trust me Gn'R could easily knock out a set with these songs:

Jungle
Better
This i love
Street of Dreams
CD
SCOM
YCBM
November Rain
KOHD
Live and let Die
Madgascar
PC

And a U2 crowd would love it.  The idea that U2's crowd wouldn't get with Guns N' Roses is pretty ridiculous. Gn'R and U2 were at the apex of their careers at the same time and I don't know about you guys but the same people liked both bands.  U2 is at a point now where so many of the fans in the stadium are casual fans who are drawn into the show because it's U2 whther the are big fans or not.  U2 has become a "must see"  if you're into concerts. So yes a lot of those people will like Guns N' Roses. Also there would be no need to worry about fans bailing for Gn'R cause U2 would NEVER go on second. As much as the swingers would like to argue this there is no circumstances imagineable where U2 opens or even co-headlines with Gn'R.

I agree with Axlin that it would be great and it would benifit Gn'R huge. But for reasons monkeychow stated it would never happen. No way in hell Axl goes on stage at 7:00 pm and ends by 8:30. I mean just thinking about seems ridiculous but like Axlin said if there was ever the slightest bit of mutual interest, Axl would be a  fool to not look into it.

I do think Korn is a cool opener for Guns N' Roses. It's a somewhat "new" band. It's fresh compared to walking Baz out there for the millionth time(even though he's a good warm up act).

monkeychow wrote:

Not to open a can of worms - but I actually think a band like Bon Jovi would be demographically more suited to opening for U2 than GNR. They're just that little bit more pop-rock-radio friendly.

I don't think Bon Jovi could open for U2 to be honest. I think Bon Jovi is too popular. It wouldn't make sense for them. It'd be a great show but I don't see how it could work.  I could see that as a possible Co-headlining tour but really who benifits from that? Nobody really. Stadiums are only so big and both bands sell them out on their own. They'd have to share the profits and it would be kinda shitty for the fans trying to get tickets as you've just doubled the "fan base" thats trying to get them.  14

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

^^^ really is Bon Jovi still popular? 

on the U2 and gnr dream i found this interesting!

Mick wall from W.A.R. page 231 mid paragraph talking about touring

"before that, Guns N Roses spent another two months touring Britain and Europe, commencing on 16 may with an outdoor festival at Slane Castle in Dublin, where they arrived via private jet forty-eight hours previously. A year into the tour, this was one of there happiest nights so far. With Axl's smiling face splashed across the front page of the Irish Independent, the band were delighted to find a crate of forty-year-old-Black Bush whiskey and a barrel of Guinness waiting for them backstage, courtesy of U2, who were also touring Europe that summer. Despite the presence of over 800 police patrolling the castle site, the show went off without a hitch."

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
jamester062001 wrote:

^^^ really is Bon Jovi still popular? 

on the U2 and gnr dream i found this interesting!

Mick wall from W.A.R. page 231 mid paragraph talking about touring

"before that, Guns N Roses spent another two months touring Britain and Europe, commencing on 16 may with an outdoor festival at Slane Castle in Dublin, where they arrived via private jet forty-eight hours previously. A year into the tour, this was one of there happiest nights so far. With Axl's smiling face splashed across the front page of the Irish Independent, the band were delighted to find a crate of forty-year-old-Black Bush whiskey and a barrel of Guinness waiting for them backstage, courtesy of U2, who were also touring Europe that summer. Despite the presence of over 800 police patrolling the castle site, the show went off without a hitch."

yeah man I heard that before. Cool stuff. Axl has performed on stage with U2 in the past and he said he cried the first time he heard U2's One. I have no doubt Axl respects and admires U2. Not sure how U2 feels about Axl these days but I'm sure Bono wouldn't mind pounding a  few beers with him.  Would be great if  it could happen but...................

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

There is no doubt about U2 being bigger than GNR! No arguments there.

But for a U2-fan to come on a GNR-fan site and suggest that they should open for U2 is a cheapshot. Then acting all "Who? What? Me? I just think it would be a great idea!"
Childish!

And yeah.. I know all about Axl's love for U2. I've seen the pics, read the stories and seen the videos.

Bono wrote:

...what a  great opportunity it would be for Gn'R. Playing to massive crowds...

Yes, GNR really needs to be the opening act for U2 to play infront of massive crowds!

Axlin08 wrote:

Then once he's done, U2 can come in and slow it down...

Kinda contradicts the purpose of an opening act, doesn't it?

Bono wrote:

I don't think Bon Jovi could open for U2 to be honest. I think Bon Jovi is too popular. It wouldn't make sense for them. It'd be a great show but I don't see how it could work.  I could see that as a possible Co-headlining tour but really who benifits from that? Nobody really. Stadiums are only so big and both bands sell them out on their own. They'd have to share the profits and it would be kinda shitty for the fans trying to get tickets as you've just doubled the "fan base" thats trying to get them.  14

Fuck yeah! A U2/Bon Jovi co-headliner tour and with GNR as the opening act! Right?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Shut up mikka. Talk about same old bullshit...

If you can't tolerate others' opinion then log off, or go to HTGTH, fanboy. 9

misterID wrote:

Really? Still?!

Does anyone even get offended by these tired old remarks anymore?

That's just soooooo 2006 it's beyond comrehension

Yeah, they didn't play too much 'new' material in 2006 either.

What boring is that Axl 'I wanted to move forward but the others didn't' Rose is still living in the past and living off songs written by people he hates.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

misterID wrote:

Really? Still?!

What boring is that Axl 'I wanted to move forward but the others didn't' Rose is still living in the past and living off songs written by people he hates.

Get your facts (and quotes) straight.

During the last year they have played almost the entire latest album.

Past and recent history tells us there is ONE old member he hates.
Nice try though...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

misterID wrote:

Really? Still?!

Get your facts (and quotes) straight.

During the last year they have played almost the entire latest album.

Past and recent history tells us there is ONE old member he hates.
Nice try though...

How do you know, did you talk with Axl? BTW Slash wrote or co-wrote all those classic tracks Axl can't stop playing. That's Axl's way to avoid cancer.

Yes, last year he played more new songs. They played even more in 1991. But I'm talking about 2010. Now it's 4 of 16 songs. He's either lazy or a coward or likes the classic band's songs better than Chinese Democracy. Anyway, get ready for time travel, Marty!

Board footer