You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Re: New Tommy Tune

Gong wrote:

roll

McKagan was not a replacement player

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

c'mon now ... everyone knows Ole Beich was the mastermind behind GnR

roll

Sky Dog wrote:

I think Ole wrote Cornchucker... 19:lol:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The argument is not lame.

I'm making a point. Old band purists PICK AND CHOOSE their argument about replacement players. Slash, Duff & Steven were all replacement players, yet are not held to the same negative-standard as a Tommy Stinson, despite seniority.

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to give a Duff more legitimacy because he's not a replacement player, which is not true.

The truth is, it was a revolving door of band members from DAY ONE. I don't see where post-1994 is somehow "more" of a revolving door, when Axl's method was present at the very inception of Guns N' Roses.

If Duff is legit, than so is Tommy. If Tommy isn't, neither is Duff. It can't work both ways. Like I said before, fans are picking and choosing what suits their argument at any given level.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the five core guys of AFD were all present to finalize creation of those songs, (most of them in fact) and those 12 songs were what propelled them to fame...to say that rob gardiner, tracii gunns and Ole beich are more gnr than slash, steven and duff is just plain silly

the AFD guys being replacement players was somethign fabricated by fanatics of the lesser appreciated new band members to try to legitimatize them over slash against the fanatics of the old band who refused to move on from 1993

but hey if you prefer the version of the band that existed for a month in 1985 and never recorded or released any material and played a handful of shows in hollywood bars then all the more power to you, but dont try to claim that Ole, Rob and Tracii were more intrigal to the fame of the GnR name than Slash, Duff and Steven were 19

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
DCK wrote:

Alright, imagine this one...

Tommy does this song during a GNR show, and then Axl comes out and does the chorus with him. Don't anyone here say they can't hear the brilliance of that shit coming out of the speakers!!

I like it alot better after workin out the lyrics.

I could see that little bit of lead on Ron or DJ some light drums from frank and chorus with AXL   fortus & Ron/DJ on acoustic. Tommy on acoustic bass

The tune would also sound awesome with Axl on lead vocals and Tommy singin with him on a turned up mike for the chorus! 22

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

This guy is 100% original GNR, anyone says otherwise is living in cuckoo land.
76170_468350144424_108537469424_5499357_5861003_n.jpg

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

the five core guys of AFD were all present to finalize creation of those songs, (most of them in fact) and those 12 songs were what propelled them to fame...to say that rob gardiner, tracii gunns and Ole beich are more gnr than slash, steven and duff is just plain silly

the AFD guys being replacement players was somethign fabricated by fanatics of the lesser appreciated new band members to try to legitimatize them over slash against the fanatics of the old band who refused to move on from 1993

but hey if you prefer the version of the band that existed for a month in 1985 and never recorded or released any material and played a handful of shows in hollywood bars then all the more power to you, but dont try to claim that Ole, Rob and Tracii were more intrigal to the fame of the GnR name than Slash, Duff and Steven were 19

I never said that or even alluded to that. I do not under anyway feel that Tracii, Ole or Rob deserve to even be mentioned under the name GN'R.

I just said that Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin are the only TRUE original members of GN'R, based on BONO's definition. Not my own.

I played out the math equation with his own personal formula.

If you're gonna play the replacement players card, then let's play it honestly. Slash, Duff & Steven are all replacement players, no different than DJ, Tommy & Frank.

I personally agree with you on what you just said.

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The argument is not lame.

I'm making a point. Old band purists PICK AND CHOOSE their argument about replacement players. Slash, Duff & Steven were all replacement players, yet are not held to the same negative-standard as a Tommy Stinson, despite seniority.

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to give a Duff more legitimacy because he's not a replacement player, which is not true.

The truth is, it was a revolving door of band members from DAY ONE. I don't see where post-1994 is somehow "more" of a revolving door, when Axl's method was present at the very inception of Guns N' Roses.

If Duff is legit, than so is Tommy. If Tommy isn't, neither is Duff. It can't work both ways. Like I said before, fans are picking and choosing what suits their argument at any given level.

No dude. They were not replacement players. Dick Evans didn't perform on U2's debut album but by your theory he's legit as an original memebr of U2? Balogona! Duff played and wrote  on 5 Guns N' Roses albums and was there from the debut. It is laughable to say Duff, Slash and Steven are not original members of Guns N' Roses. Sorry dude but you lost me on this one. Tommy has more seniority than Duff when it comes to Guns N' Roses? Brother please! I guess Dizzy is more Guns N' Roses as well right?  roll

Neemo wrote:

This ^ 100%

Slash, Duff, Steven, Axl & Izzy are the original Guns N' Roses. Not fucking Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner, Ole Beich, Izzy & Axl.

I never said Tommy wasn't legit but since Slash, Duff and Izzy left there has been no new material recorded other than CD and since that time frame there's been how many musicians walk through the door? Don't even try telling me that Gn'R pre 1994 was the same revolving door operation that it's been 1996-present. It holds no weight as an arguement cause it's simply not the case no matter how you debate it.

Considering the fact that Guns N' Roses has never had the exact same lineup on ANY of their studio releases completely and totally proves my debate without debating it. GN'R has never stuck with a lineup ever in their existance EVEN considering their studio releases. Nothing has fuckin' changed man, ever. So Guns N' Roses stuck with a group of guys for two and a half years, and suddenly they're more legit than the lineup that has lasted for four years?

In case you're wondering Dizzy Reed has vastly more seniority than any of those guys, and deserves more respect because of it. Saying Dizzy doesn't deserve it, but Axl does is another case of picking and choosing it to suit an argument.

The whole point of this discussion was to bring to light a glaring hypocracy that is committed by many. To require a GN'R song to have an original members writing credit to be considering a GN'R song, the only people that could be classified by that is Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin.

According to your own theory, a GN'R song is not a GN'R song unless it says 'Rose' and/or 'Stradlin' on track... that statement alone is absurd, and I thought would cause you to re-question your stance - apparently not.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Obviously a heavily pushed single and/or video is not going to be an Axl-less effort. But to say a B-side on a future album can't consist of a song like One Man Mutiny and be called Guns N' Roses, when it is an officially recorded track with a man who has been 10+ years in the band, one who has spent 20 years in the band, and the other who has spent nearly 10 years in the band, all by members who recorded and performed on an official GN'R album (Chinese Democracy), while Dizzy has performed on FOUR, but it's not legit because Axl's not there....

I'm sorry dude, but i'm not buying it. If anyone is an Axl-exclusive fan, it's you. It just doesn't work for me. How can this band ever move on if you require an original band member (not Dizzy apparently) to participate in making a song?

You want, or there was a time you wanted, Axl to succeed at this, but you fixed the football game in favor of the original guys. Not Axl. On one hand you want an all-new original album with the current GN'R and yes it will be called "Guns N' Roses" i'm afraid, but yet it doesn't matter if it's GNR's Sticky Fingers, because your set list of guys aren't on maybe one or two songs on an entire album, somehow it's blasphemy to call it a GN'R song. How? They're IN GN'R. The other guys are OUT. I see it pretty simple, really.

Apparently we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I just can't believe that a great song, performed and written by Tommy Stinson, 12 years in the band, three world tours, one original studio album, and the thing would be cut 13 on an album, and we'd start some "it's not GN'R" debate about it.

It's 2010, are we gonna do this fuckin' new band thing or not? Or for the next album, are we gonna just rehash shit we were arguing about a decade ago?

Board footer