You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

war wrote:

well, they won the division last year without sweeping the bears, without their top linebacker ej henderson who will make the pro bowl this year, and with a career back up quarterback.

this year (quartberback play aside) their defense and running game, alone, will get them to the playoffs and they made a nice improvement to the receiving core with percy harvin.

they didn't sign brett cause they needed him to win the division or make the playoffs. they signed him to win the super bowl. they know he's not in his prime but he offers the savvy and the playoff/superbowl experience that that they are missing without him. and after two practices they are saying that the playbook has alreday been opened up 50 percent from what they were able to run with the other qb's.

I hear what you're saying, james, but i don't agree they will need to sweep the bears to get to the playoffs nor would they need home field advantage to do any damage when they get there since they are well suited for road games with their deadly defense and running game. that is the worst case scenario. i wouldn't be stunned if they won the division with home field advantage the whole way through either nor would i be stunned if they did sweep the bears for they are not your usual dome team.

as far as the schedule i suggest you set up a way for us to make our picks. or is that already something you do????

im sure there are a couple of games on those schedules i see differently then you and it would be a lot of fun!!!

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Favre will burn out in November like last year, and the first 3 games of the year might be their easiest so that schedule is not friendly to them. They get better with him, but I don't think it's by enough. The Packers easily have the best passing game in that division and made a lot of good moves on the defensive side, and while I don't think the Bears with Cutler will work as well as advertised, they're still tough to beat. I could see the vikings going 3-3 in the division, and considering 2 of those games are against the Lions, that's not good enough.

war

war wrote:

they'll win more than 3 games in the division with me at quarterback. out of curiosity, CC, what's the third division game they'll win? what's most likely to happen is the bears, packers, and vikings will split their games against each other and whoever does better against the rest will win the division. that's how it's always gone in the "black and blue" division, no matter who the better team has been.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I won't argue Favre doesn't make the Vikings a better team, but I just don't know how much better it makes them.  And as far as signing him to win the Super Bowl.  What exactly has he done to give anyone the impression he can win the Super Bowl, much less a playoff game in the last 7 years?  Did you see the NFC championship game his last year in GB?  He was horrendous.  I'm quite certain Sage Rosenfels could've done equally as good/bad.

war

war wrote:

well, he's played in the playoffs and won a superbowl, lost in another but only due to a last minute drive by john elway. and he wasn't "horrendous" in the championship games 2 years ago minus the one interception. and you are comparing a hall of fame quarterback, who once had a less than perfect game amongst a sea of brilliant ones, to a career back up quarterback with no playoff experience and less than average numbers. give me a break.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm giving him a win against Chicago when it's played in Minnesota. I don't like Chicago the way James seems to, I think the D is declining on a yearly basis, and like so many star rookies Forte could hit a sophomore slump. Cutler doesn't fit in that city either, imo, and he's young enough to have age-related struggles too.

The Packers don't usually win in Minnesota but they're going to be hugely motivated. I think Favre-heroics loses to an extremely pissed off GB any day.

faldor

faldor wrote:
war wrote:

well, he's played in the playoffs and won a superbowl, lost in another but only due to a last minute drive by john elway. and he wasn't "horrendous" in the championship games 2 years ago minus the one interception. and you are comparing a hall of fame quarterback, who once had a less than perfect game amongst a sea of brilliant ones, to a career back up quarterback with no playoff experience and less than average numbers. give me a break.

He's also a 42 year old quarterback who is FAR removed from his prime.  Some pretty good backups have stepped into starting roles and led teams to Super Bowls over the last 10 years.  I can't think of many 42 year old QB's who've done that.  This isn't Brett Favre circa 1997, that's all I'm saying.

war

war wrote:

brett favre is 39

and he is better than sage rosenfels any day of the week and twice on sunday

pretty clever huh

but seriously that's not all you were saying you said sage was just as good or bad as brett and that's absurd.

back to your "not many 42 year old qb's have ever........" comment.

not many qb's have won a superbowl or made the pro bowl either. Favre is one of the them so the usual circumstances don't apply.

this is a run first offense  - they're not asking him to throw 40 passes a game. only to punish the defense for bringing 8 or more men to the box to defend AP, which is what they did all last year at will.

kinda like neemo said, brett favre is gonna make it harder on the defenses before the football is even snapped. other teams are now gonna have to respect the pass along with the run.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Rich Gannon made the SB at 37 I believe, and played well late in his career overall. Granted, Favre is well past is prime, but had a good season 2 years ago with GB.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I'm honestly not convinced Brett Favre is any better than Sage Rosenfels.  Call me crazy.  I realize he doesn't have to be great, let Adrian do the bulk of the work.  But he's prone to make some huge mistakes.  In a ball control offense it might not be the best option to have a gunslinger at the helm.

Alright enough being nice.  Brett Favre is one of the MOST OVERRATED athletes in sports over the last 10 years.  He was good in his day, but he is far removed from that.  You can think back fondly of him throwing darts to Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks but those days are long gone.  I understand getting excited as a Viking fan, but take it from an outsiders point of view.  The rest of the NFL could care less if it's Favre or Rosenfels.  Brett will surely give the defense 5 or 6 chances a game to make a big play.  It's just a question of whether they can capitalize on those chances.

Also, who's to say the guy can stay healthy?  He played well last season until he got hurt.  He had surgery in the off-season.  I wouldn't bet on him staying healthy all season long.

Board footer