You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Wow!  Eagles are just destroying the Giants right now. Eli looks terrible, playing as bad as he did his rookie year. Let's hope there's some aura down there leftover for tonight.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Bills lost in fairly humiliating fashion, but it's a good loss because it made it clear why Edwards should be the starting QB and why Jauron has to be fired.

Jets were swept by Miami this year, not good for them. It's hard to win your division if you don't have a winning record against division opponents and the best they can do for the year is be an even .500 within the east. With Cincy, Baltimore (or Pittsburgh) and possibly Houston and San Diego in the wild card chase the Jets need to play well from here on out. 9-7 probably won't make the playoffs.

Big surprise to see how Baltimore totally handled Denver. Not a shock that they won in the end but the score is not what I expected. I still believe in Denver but that was a bad outing for them.

St. Louis stopped their 17 game losing streak. Congratulations to them.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Giants are clearly in a funk, and thats putting it nicely. But they have a bye in a couple weeks. They are beat up real bad right now. They should be getting three defensive starters back in the near future for the final push. The only player they wont be getting back is Kenny Phillips, and that hurts big time. A concern that I have, and isnt necessarily based on any info out there, is I hope Eli's foot isnt giving him problems. He has that plantar fasctitis (sp?). His dip in production started after that injury... That bye week cant come soon enough.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Dolphins beat the Jets... solely on offense.

Did I mention that defense BLOWS?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Thank God the Bears won. They would have been in major trouble had they lost to Cleveland. The win is nothing to write home about, but when you are trying to stay in the playoff hunt, you cant lose the easy games. The Packers lost to the Vikings which puts the Bears in good position. The NFC West is a cesspool, so the Bears are easily have their eyes on one of those two wildcard spots, which is pretty much guaranteed to go to Chicago, Minnesota, or Green Bay.

That Baltimore win was huge. Just when people started to write them off they kick the cream of the crop's ass.

Congrats to the Titans for putting Young in the game. That should have happened at the beginning of the season.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

solely on special teams.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

FlashFlood wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

solely on special teams.

Yeah, I'm no Jets defender by any means but Miami won mainly on kick returns. Not that the Jets played great, and without Kris Jenkins they are going to continue to struggle. But today was a day when special teams made the big plays.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20091101020

“We’re responsible for the loss,” said Jets special teams ace Wallace Wright. “That killed us. If they didn’t run back those two kickoffs, it’s over.”

Maybe so, especially when the Jets’ defense shut down the Dolphins’ wildcat formation and held Miami to just 104 yards of total offense compared to New York’s 378.

“Sometimes things just don’t make sense,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said. “Statistically, this game isn’t going to look close.”

Miami’s second-ranked running attack rushed for just 52 yards, and Chad Henne was 12 of 21 for 112 yards and a late touchdown to Joey Haynos.

“They’re a great team,” Jets linebacker Bart Scott said sarcastically. “They’ll probably contend for the Super Bowl.”

It was one more shot in a tense rivalry reignited by a big heap of trash talk from both sides. It was ramped up after Jets linebacker Calvin Pace(notes) called the Dolphins’ wildcat “nonsense” after Miami’s 31-27 win on Oct. 12. The bad feelings were evident even before the game, when the Jets’ Kerry Rhodes and a few Dolphins players got into a shoving match during warmups.

But, this time, the Dolphins had the final word on the field.

“When you have two teams that really hate each other, that’s going to be your best football,” Miami linebacker Joey Porter said. “I wish you could hate every team like you hate your rivals. They brought out our best football.”

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

They really need an edge rusher as the two guys they depend on (Porter and Taylor) are getting old.  The secondary (mainly the CBs) is young and they have a legitemate excuse there.  A big DT wouldn't hurt either.

Thank God the Bears won. They would have been in major trouble had they lost to Cleveland. The win is nothing to write home about, but when you are trying to stay in the playoff hunt, you cant lose the easy games. The Packers lost to the Vikings which puts the Bears in good position. The NFC West is a cesspool, so the Bears are easily have their eyes on one of those two wildcard spots, which is pretty much guaranteed to go to Chicago, Minnesota, or Green Bay.

Their best chance is to hope that the NFC East teams beat the crap out of each other and they have to take care of business.  Next 2 games will be critical as they play the up and down Cardinals and go fly cross country to play the 49ers on the 12th.  That's 2 games in 4 days and a flight to the west coast to boot.  The schedule makers didn't give them any breaks there.  BTW, I think Cleveland might be the most boring team in the league to watch.  Yuck.

Congrats to the Titans for putting Young in the game. That should have happened at the beginning of the season.

Too bad it took the owner essentially forcing Fisher to do this, otherwise I'd have to sit through another awful Kerry Collins performance.  Only the Bucs remain in the winless column.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The Titans won because of Chris Brown, not Young. Come on guys, the Jags suck. Vince is still going to self destruct as starter, but the Titans should have put some wildcat packages together in a game (not warm ups) for VY that would utilize his talents and give the offense a boost and they wouldn't be in this position.

And no QB is going to succeed with the Titans WR's. Especially with that awful defense that makes you constantly have to play catch up.

I was really rooting for Alex Smith today and he looked really good. That's such a heartbreaker that they lose the way they did.

Is it too early to call a Vikings/Colts superbowl?

Board footer