You are not logged in. Please register or login.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

huntermc wrote:

Sorry if this has been posted before, I just saw this at Billboard.

Billboard wrote:

Kanye, Guns N' Roses Post Slow Debut-Week Sales
December 01, 2008 04:46 PM ET
Ed Christman, N.Y.
While mainstream media is touting that the Black Friday weekend started the holiday selling season with a bang, music merchandisers certainly didn't have that experience.

Music sales were down anywhere from 10% to 30% and hit albums released for Black Friday didn't perform up to expectations, according to merchants contacted by Billboard. Sources say Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" will sell in the range of 425,000-450,000 units, significantly down from 700,000-975,000 units previously projected.

Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" is expected to clock in at 250,000-260,000, which is also down from expectations that it would sell anywhere from 300,000-784,000 units.

While some press reports show across-the-board retail weekend sales up 7%, music merchandisers point out that in order to accurately measure the holiday, it should be measured the week containing Black Friday this year, which was the last week in November, versus last year when the day fell in the third week of the month.

At music specialty stores Newbury Comics, sales were down 21% on a comparable store basis for the last two weeks of November, while music sales were down 28%, reports the Brighton, Mass.-based chain's CEO, Mike Dreese.

At big boxes like Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble, label executives report that hit sales were off significantly for the Black Friday weekend, anywhere from 30% to 40%.

On the other hand, as expected, online shopping was stronger than last year, says an executive with a wholesaler that does CD and DVD fulfillment for online stores. But he declined to provide details, other than to say that Friday was better than Thursday, for the first time.

"I hear traffic was high, but overall purchasing wasn't because shoppers were cherry-picking the deals," says one senior distribution executive.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Not very good. I still like the album, but sales figures are basically abysmal compared to what alot of us expected a few months & years ago. I wouldn't expect it to be given much as a 'gift' either.

The only thing that will boost sales is a big, catchy hit. I'm not sure SOD or TIL are it either. Radio stations hardly play new songs anymore, and they're not going to be giving this Gnr 3rd, or 4th chances either. Better is a great song, but if CD didn't cause the cd to fly off the shelves, neither will Better. It was said a while ago one of the few non-debut albums to really pcik up sales long after release was Kid Rock. Back with the crossover smash "Picture". And I think he did it again with this past summers hit (can't remember the name). Anyway, I'm not saying he's great, or his albums were better, but that's whats needed for smash hits. GnR doesn't have that. And after Christmas is the wintertime, a horrible time for album sales, the black hole basically. I can come pretty close to admitting that sales-wise, this albums going to go it's course & fade away. Not nearly reaching a 2 million mark. Not sure it'll reach 1 if it only sold 250K it's first week.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

don't disagree with everything you said but..................

better and cd are two completely types of different songs

cd is about as straight forward of a standard rock song as you can get - it's good but it is what it is. i think they only released it as a single based on the title to spread the word that chinese democracy is here.

better is way more catchy and dynamic.

there third single should be citr or sod.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree CD was probably 1st single because of the name. Honestly though I think CD & Better are pretty similar.

I agree citr or SOD should be the third single. Probably would have been best to not use CD & go straight Better, CITR, SOD.

war

war wrote:

sorry at some point as well

I feel that CITR and Prostitute is the most mainstream friendly songs they have.  They aren't too involved with alot of stuff going on and are very catchy if you are thinking in a mainstream point of view.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

CD has charted 4th in the US, behind Sasha Fierce, Taylor Swift, and Kanye.

254k which is lower than Contraband if I am not mistaken.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I feel that CITR and Prostitute is the most mainstream friendly songs they have.  They aren't too involved with alot of stuff going on and are very catchy if you are thinking in a mainstream point of view.

I would disagree DTJ. I think Sorry is likely the most mainstreme song they have and it just happens to be their best in my opinion.  Sorry sounds like Modern rock radio. Nothing else on the album does.

war

war wrote:

i couls see all three of thse on the radio

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
killingvector wrote:

CD has charted 4th in the US, behind Sasha Fierce, Taylor Swift, and Kanye.

254k which is lower than Contraband if I am not mistaken.

contraband was 256k 16 that sweet...some peopel are gonna eat crow now...or just claim sales dont matter 15

Board footer