You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

Re: The General and Monsters

sp1at wrote:

I think IRS is about a romantic relationship and not about Slaah. There's references to Love and baby. I'm guessing it revolves around the old Henry Miller quote  'to love or be loved is no crime. the really criminal thing is to make a person believe that he or she is the only one you could ever love.' Miller is a popular writer among older rock stars.

Remember Catcher is based on a book, and Zodiac is based on a 1980s book Axl likes...and Atlas as well

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I prefer Angry Axl to all this simping. There's an energy to these Stephanie songs that is off putting. Like her evil spirit has contaminated the very core of it. Have you noticed he always goes into falsetto when singing about her? Stephanie brings out the Pussy Axl.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

It's interesting. I think Axl puts alot into his songs.

An adult identifying with Holden Caulfield is usually a sign of trauma. Add that to the mechanism of using humour as a default when meeting people. The lack of children, his behaviour as a young adult, the adoption of a random family, you've got there someone who will never feel right, seem right, be right.

I think, musically, you can see the music getting darker as Axl gets older, starts to reflect more on his life. Relationships are going to be an ongoing challenge and that comes out in the lyrics and music.

The good thing for Axl though is he writes it all down, that'll be cathartic for him and we get tunes out of it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He's basically just Peter Pan with fuck you money.

Does anyone here still listen to either of these songs?

It's funny how we FINALLY have The General and I don't even listen to it.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Now and then; more likely monsters over the general. The general must take #1 place as the most overhyped GnR song of all time!

Tmgladden
 Rep: 2 

Tmgladden wrote:
James wrote:

He's basically just Peter Pan with fuck you money.

I listen to them still, but only my remixes. Official release leaves some desire

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:
James wrote:

Nope

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

No, I don't .  I've listened to Paradise City more the past few months than either of those two new tunes.

The problem is that they are just not very good/or catchy songs and once the novel and historical value of the songs (being part of the CD sessions) passes.  You don't really go back to them for whatever reasons (that the song doesn't appeal to you).

I mean I'm glad they finally got released.  Oh you can also use the same rationale for any of the leftovers that have been released in the past few years.  Once you get past the curiosity level, there is just something missing with all those tunes.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

If i’m in the car i put them on from time to time (most recently blared Monsters within the last week). I also don’t consume music that much, just a bunch of boston sports talk radio. I used to listen to music while I run but now I go no headphones, thoughts only.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I listened to CD in my car for the first time in forever and it’s a whole different experience than my headphones. This was such an odd production

Board footer