You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

Olorin wrote:

Actually I've always thought there were some similarities between the structure of Locomotive (a Slash song), and There Was A Time. Even the voice layers in the chorus sounds like the layered voices he used on Locomotive, and they have those outros that have epic guitars and drums and vocal melodies that are completely different to the rest of the song.

Made me wonder if that was the clue that TWAT was really about Slash and not a woman.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

No one outside these boards sees Axl as "a creative genius" anymore. Sorry.

You are quite correct.

But I also think that's part of the modern world's "what have you done for me lately" approach to things.

For example Leonardo was not a prolific painter, these days people would be demanding his next output.

So it doesn't matter to the average joe that Axl wrote November Rain because they're too busy watching this weeks reality show I guess.

Generally once you are old you're a washed up has been. That's our world. There's some exceptions - especially if you live long enough to get into your really twilight years - then they love you again as a living legend.

But I think that kind of songwriting ability doesn't just go away, and the politics of "is it GNR aside" and who else might have played on the record at a fundemental level his later works like Madagascar and Catcher are also highly inspired pieces to me. So while i agree it's not the person in the street's viewpoint. I do think Axl is a musical genius.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Made me wonder if that was the clue that TWAT was really about Slash and not a woman.

Yeah but the "sleeping like an angel, never mind who you gave head" line....Slash has done a lot of stuff...but I don't think he's sucked off a guy....

Hidden Text:

Steven on the other hand.........:D

More seriously though I think Axl's songs are often about several situations at once, so I'd day parts of it could be about the old band and parts Steph and Erin and whatever else.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Lisa Reed (Dizzy's wife): ''Just an FYI for those supporting the rrhof and dissing my friend for his honest and forthright decision. This establishment wanted to charge dizzy $3000 per person to attend his induction to their little museum. With the kids and parents and everyone close to him. This would have added up to $21000. Pretty sure He would rather spend that money on more meaningful things.''

Am I reading ths right, she Is saying due to the dollars they charge per person to attend Dizzy now won't be going or just his family won't attend with him?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Lisa Reed (Dizzy's wife): ''Just an FYI for those supporting the rrhof and dissing my friend for his honest and forthright decision. This establishment wanted to charge dizzy $3000 per person to attend his induction to their little museum. With the kids and parents and everyone close to him. This would have added up to $21000. Pretty sure He would rather spend that money on more meaningful things.''

Am I reading ths right, she Is saying due to the dollars they charge per person to attend Dizzy now won't be going or just his family won't attend with him?

I think it's bullshit. I doubt he wouldn't get some free passes, although sure there is a limit. I also don't think it'd be this pricey, but faldor can tell us tongue

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I believe $3,000 per plate is accurate.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Sure reads like that Aussie.

I was sort of wondering what Dizzy would do now.

On one hand it's a huge honour to be recognised and if I were him I'd want my moment.

On the other - he'd be the only new GNR member there. And it's probably important to him to be loyal to Axl given it was Axl who got him in GNR back in the day.

I don't like the implication that it's all about the Hall's antics. They may well be assholes...but I'd venture Axl's spent more than $3k on a meal in the past...so I'm thinking he could spring for Beta...it's obviously related to them not inducting the new band and or just plain animosity at the old band.

Slash and Duff should make a public appeal for Axl to join VR as an equal partner - then it would be interesting hahahhaha.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

you should have realized this by 1994...I did. Still a fan but certainly don't use him as any form of role model or artistic shaman. He writes a lot of songs/lyrics with universal themes,. Those songs connect with a pretty diverse demographic all across the globe.

I think the thing with Axl's lyrics though is that most people feel them in a moment; he still feels them as strong today as he did when he wrote them.  We've all had heartbreak; we've all had bad things happen to us.  Most people can move past it at some point.  To me, the songs remind me of a place in time; they help me remember when I felt that way and appreciate that I don't feel that way now.  I think we've all grown up.  For whatever reason, Axl can't.  Until he does, none of this is going to change.

I mean let's be serious.  After hating Slash for 25 years, Slash isn't going to walk up to him, accept responsibility for everything publicly, and Axl will suddenly be his best buddy again.

Sky Dog wrote:

great article on other no shows to the rrhof...alot of similar themes. Axl is not alone
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … s-20120412

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm not saying that he should be bombarded with, "YOU SUCK!" posts.

If he ever did post here, I'd hope we'd keep it intelligent and ask him shit other boards are afraid too, or the stuff that gets deleted to "protect" him.

I'd just flat out ask him what his f-ing problem is. And by that I mean elaborate on how he feels he's been so hard done by or STFU. I really can't stand a person regardless of who they are that blames everyone for everything let alone someone who does it and has nothing specific to reference.

And that is why he will never post here.  I like you Bono, but I wouldn't post here either if I was him.  It's as much of a no win situation as the HoF was.

Board footer