You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The MLB Thread

PaSnow wrote:

That's interesting about Fielder.  I guess I just stopped hearing about baseball after Pujols signed, but yeah he hasn't signed yet.  My guess is owners want to keep the MAX salary what Arod & Pujols get, whereas Boras wants to blow that out & get upwards of $300+ for 10+ years.

Yeah, Washington got hosed on the Werth deal.  Hopefully Strasburg can come back & they end up with a decent team at least.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I wonder how Boras explained to Madson how he went from getting a multiyear contract worth 10+ million dollars a year to settling for a 1 year 8.5 million dollar deal.  Anybody ever read one of those booklets that Boras sends out to teams concerning one of his FA's?  They're pretty funny.  There's one a few years ago that compared Oliver Perez to Sandy Koufax.

The teams have the advantage because we're so close to Spring Training.  They'll take whatever the best offer is at this point.

I've read that Jackson has been getting interest from the Yankees.  But they only want to sign him for a one year deal.

Fielder has zero interest in a one year deal and the suitors are slowly disappearing.  Blue Jays aren't interested.  Neither are the Marlins.  I think Boras is waiting to see if the Rangers sign Darvish (deadline is the 18th) before doing anything.

Here's a really long interesting article on the Hall of Fame written by Joe Posanski:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/01/09/a … me-review/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

That's interesting about Fielder.  I guess I just stopped hearing about baseball after Pujols signed, but yeah he hasn't signed yet.  My guess is owners want to keep the MAX salary what Arod & Pujols get, whereas Boras wants to blow that out & get upwards of $300+ for 10+ years.

Yeah, Washington got hosed on the Werth deal.  Hopefully Strasburg can come back & they end up with a decent team at least.

Oh there's not a chance in hell of that happening.

Last I heard was Boras was looking for Pujols deal, 10 years / $250 million.

There was rumors the Nats might be interested for 10 years / $225 million, then supposedly Boras laughed it off, and then the Nats reduced their offer even more in protest, and also backed off on being willing to do 10 years, which screwed Boras & Fielder even more.

But that's just rumor, but imo highly probable for the lack of new news.

slashsfro wrote:

I wonder how Boras explained to Madson how he went from getting a multiyear contract worth 10+ million dollars a year to settling for a 1 year 8.5 million dollar deal.  Anybody ever read one of those booklets that Boras sends out to teams concerning one of his FA's?  They're pretty funny.  There's one a few years ago that compared Oliver Perez to Sandy Koufax.

The teams have the advantage because we're so close to Spring Training.  They'll take whatever the best offer is at this point.

I've read that Jackson has been getting interest from the Yankees.  But they only want to sign him for a one year deal.

Fielder has zero interest in a one year deal and the suitors are slowly disappearing.  Blue Jays aren't interested.  Neither are the Marlins.  I think Boras is waiting to see if the Rangers sign Darvish (deadline is the 18th) before doing anything.

Here's a really long interesting article on the Hall of Fame written by Joe Posanski:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/01/09/a … me-review/

I think alot of team did just like the Cubs, and basically said 5-years, maybe 6, no exceptions. And stuck by it.

The Jays have moved on, the Marlins were never really interested after getting used in the Pujols deal, and the Rangers interest is overrated to my knowledge. Although imo the Rangers would be the best fit for Prince for the long-term, the Rangers don't NEED Prince, and considering they are working Yu more to get that deal done, I highly doubt the Rangers turn around and grab Prince. I think with Yu, the Rangers might go for a cheaper alternative like a Derrek Lee to platoon with Mitch Moreland at 1B/DH.

The Mariners have never really been in it, I just don't see them grabbing Fielder to counter the Angels getting Pujols and the Rangers getting Darvish "maybe" in the AL West. The M's would be looking for a "bargain" which is exactly what Fielder wouldn't be looking for to have to take the bite to play for Seattle, a team going nowhere right now.

Despite Boras claiming there's 10 teams "in it" including the ones mentioned... he's as full of it as his 'comparison booklets'. Both Yankees, Mets, White Sox & Red Sox are not going for it, whether due to money or other obligations. The rest are small market.

I guess a "darkhorse" could possibly be the Rays? The Rays aren't deep at 1B, and are actively looking for a powerful DH, which is their biggest need as it is every year. But considering that every year the Rays throw some 1-year deal at an over-the-hill power hitter, who comes in and still has the Rays make the playoffs, and the fact they are not big money spenders, I think it's more likely they pursue bringing back Pena for a year or two, than going after Fielder.

Which leaves the Cubs, Fielder's best chance at "the money". Fielder might be in the spotlight, familiar grounds still in the NL Central, with his good buddy - new Cubs skipper Dale Sveum, but Theo ain't gonna budge on that 5-year offer. If Fielder wants it, it'll be done tomorrow, but they ain't gonna budge.

Which takes us back to the Nats. The Nats will probably be willing to offer in upwards of 7+ year contract, but the better question is does Prince want to hitch his wagon to Washington for that long?

If I were Prince?

I'd take the 5-year deal from the Cubs, which was probably worth the most per year. If not that, i'd call up Milwaukee and ask nicely if they are interested in bringing me back for a 1-year deal in 2012, and then trying Free Agency again next year.

jmho

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Michael Pineda, Jesus Montero in Yankees-Mariners swap
by Tim Booth / AP Sports

9kXbPdGc.jpg

SEATTLE (AP)—The Seattle Mariners and New York Yankees pulled off a good old power play.

Power pitcher for power hitter.

The Mariners agreed to trade right-hander Michael Pineda to the New York Yankees for catcher Jesus Montero on Friday, a swap involving two young stars under the age of 23.

A person familiar with the deal confirmed the trade to The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss the trade that will be completed pending physicals.

As part of the trade, the Yankees also sent 24-year-old pitcher Hector Noesi to Seattle for 19-year-old righty Jose Campos.

The deal addresses needs for both sides. The Yankees were looking for another starter, preferably young, to add to their rotation, while the Mariners were desperate for a slugger to add to an offense that was among the worst historically the last few seasons.

In addition, another person familiar with the agreement told the AP the Yankees had reached a deal with free agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda on a $10 million contract for one season. The 36-year-old righty was 13-16 with a 3.07 ERA for the Dodgers last season. Kuroda’s contract is pending a physical.

After losing in the first round of the playoffs, the Yankees kept looking for pitching this winter after they passed on bidding for the top free agents in what was a weak year for starters.

They could part with the 22-year-old Montero because they have several catchers in their system who are considered far better defensively. They have Austin Romine at Triple-A, plus Russell Martin earned an All-Star appearance in his first year with New York and was praised for his work with the Yankees’ pitching staff.

In just 69 plate appearances, Montero hit four homers, drove in 12 runs and batted .328 for New York in a September call-up that earned him a spot on their playoff roster. He showed patience at the plate and an ability to hit with power to the opposite field.

Montero hit .288 with 18 homers and 67 RBIs at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last year. Montero nearly came to Seattle back in 2010 as part of a deal for Cliff Lee that fell apart at the last minute. Lee was later traded to Texas for a bounty that included prospective Seattle starting first baseman Justin Smoak and right-hander Blake Beavan.

Pineda, who turns 23 later this month, earned his way into the Mariners’ rotation with his performance last spring. By the end of the season, he was in place as Seattle’s No. 2 starter for the future behind ace Felix Hernandez.

But no matter who Seattle had throwing, they couldn’t make up for an offense that hit just .233 as a team, scored 556 runs—worst in all of baseball—and hit only 109 homers.

Most Seattle fans have pined for Prince Fielder to be the offensive solution. For now, they’ll have to settle for Montero’s potential.

Pineda went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA in his rookie season that started fast, then endured typical rookie struggles as the season progressed. One of Pineda’s high points was starting at home against the Yankees on May 27 when he was already 6-2. Pineda threw five innings that night of a 4-3 Seattle victory.

But Pineda’s rookie problems started soon after. Over his final 17 starts, Pineda was 3-8 and his ERA ballooned to 4.74. Still, Pineda managed to league all of baseball holding right-handed batters to just a .184 average against and struck out 173 in 171 innings.

Pineda was expendable because of Seattle’s rich depth of starters. The Mariners have Hernandez at the top of their rotation and just signed Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma. Those two, combined with lefty Jason Vargas and young prospects Charlie Furbush and Beavan, will likely make up Seattle rotation to begin the season.

In the minors, three of Seattle’s top prospects all project as starting pitchers: right-hander Taijuan Walker, lefty Danny Hultzen—the No. 2 pick in last year’s amateur draft—and righty James Paxton

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yankees sign free agent RHP Hiroki Kuroda
by Ronald Blum / AP Sports

hiroki-kuroda-2.jpg

NEW YORK (AP)—The New York Yankees made a major push to bolster their starting rotation by agreeing to terms with pitcher Hiroki Kuroda on a $10 million, one-year contract shortly after acquiring youngster Michael Pineda from the Seattle Mariners.

A person familiar with Kuroda’s signing told The Associated Press the deal is contingent on the 36-year-old former Los Angeles Dodgers starter passing a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because there has not yet been an announcement. Kuroda’s deal also includes performance bonuses, according to the person.

The right hander was 13-16 with a 3.07 ERA for the Dodgers this year and 41-46 with a 3.45 ERA in four seasons in Los Angeles after a long career in Japan.

Until Friday, the Yankees’ biggest moves were retaining C.C. Sabathia after he opted out of his contract and bringing back Freddy Garcia after a solid 2011.

Along with Pineda, fifth in this year’s AL Rookie of the Year voting, the Yankees now have seven starters heading into spring training with A.J. Burnett, Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes also returning.

Nova finished a spot ahead of Pineda in rookie voting and is in line to fill a spot. Hughes might be forced to the bullpen after struggling with injuries and velocity last year.

New York sent power-hitting catcher Jesus Montero, the organization’s top prospect, to Seattle for the hard-throwing Pineda, according to a person familiar with the deal.

The 22-year-old Pineda was 6-2 on May 21 with a 2.16 ERA and finished 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA. In 171 innings he gave up just 133 hits and struck out 173.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What'd I tell you?

--------------------------------

Prince Fielder in Texas talking to Rangers
by Stephen Hawkins / AP Sports

I8s3KG9C.jpg

DALLAS (AP)—Free agent slugger Prince Fielder was in Texas on Friday to talk with the two-time American League champion Rangers.

The visit by Fielder comes at the same time the Rangers are in the closing stages of their 30-day negotiating window with Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish.

Fielder’s visit to Texas on Friday was first reported by USA Today.

Fielder was there to meet with Rangers officials, according to the person familiar with his situation who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the discussions weren’t meant to be public.

The 27-year-old first baseman made $15.55 million last season with Milwaukee, including a $50,000 bonus for starting the All-Star game, after signing a record single-year deal for an arbitration-eligible player last January. He hit .299 with 38 homers and 120 RBIs as the Brewers won the NL Central for its first division title since 1982, when they were still in the AL.

A first-round pick by the Brewers in 2002, Fielder became the youngest player in big league history to hit 50 homers in a season when he did it in 2007, and he’s appeared in all but one of Milwaukee’s games over the last three years.

Mitch Moreland, who also played in the outfield, started 99 games at first base for Texas last season, his second with the Rangers. He hit .259 with 16 homers in 134 games overall while dealing with right wrist soreness that required offseason surgery. Michael Young started 36 games at first base and Mike Napoli 35.

The Rangers last month bid a record $51.7 million under the posting system to win the right to negotiate with the 25-year-old Darvish. Their negotiating period ends Wednesday at 4 p.m. CST. The Rangers pay the posting fee only if they sign the 6-foot-5 pitcher.

Rangers President and Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan said Thursday night that he was impressed by his first meeting with Darvish, when the pitcher visited Texas last week. Ryan also expressed optimism of getting a contract done by the deadline.

Ryan gave no indication of any pending meetings with Fielder and his agent, Scott Boras.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hot Cuban prospect Yoenis Cespedes says 6 MLB seek him
by AP

i8CKwWJC.jpg

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP)—Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes says six major league teams are interested in him once he becomes a free agent.

Cespedes told The Associated Press on Friday that the Miami Marlins, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs and White Sox have sought him.

The 27-year-old made his professional career debut on Thursday during the Dominican Republic’s winter season with the Cibaenas Eagles, going 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts

He blamed a lack of playing time on the poor performance, saying it had been 10 months since he had played at night.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think the Miami Marlins are the obvious landing place for this "five tool Sammy Sosa" type player. I think the Marlins will pay any price, manage anything they can to land Cespedes to bring in the locals, now that they'll be closer to downtown Miami.

It just makes sense all around. Marlins will have more hispanic associates (think Hall of Famer Tony Perez), as well as the staff, including manager Ozzie Guillen. The whole flavor will be Latin. They'll give him A LONG LONG leash to develop, he'll be a local celebrity in Miami, he'll be close to countrymen who can help his transition in America, etc.

I don't see the White Sox or the Cubs getting into a massive bidding war for Cespedes, although it is rumored the Cubs want him BAD, and the Sox want him more because the Cubs want him. But after Epstein got burnt on Dice K in Boston, I doubt he has Ricketts throw the kitchen sink at this guy, but maybe i'm wrong.

Tigers, Indians & Orioles are out of it imo. No way they compete with the Marlins, or the "big market" teams in Chicago.

P.S.

Is it just me, or are those Cuban World Baseball Classic uniforms AWESOME! I really dig those!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Kerry Wood, Cubs reach $3 million deal for 2012
by Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

dEYtUsVM.jpg

CHICAGO -- Kerry Wood is staying put.

In an announcement perfectly timed to kick off the Cubs Convention on Friday, Wood and the team reached agreement on a one-year, $3 million deal with a $3 million club option for 2013.

"Never a doubt," Wood joked Friday.

Actually, there was. Wood said he considered offers from other teams and was waiting for a phone call to schedule a physical.

"It all worked out in the end and I'm back where I belong in Chicago," Wood said.

The announcement was made at the opening ceremonies of the 27th annual Cubs Convention at the Hilton Chicago. The 2012 team was introduced alphabetically, and WGN Radio's Pat Hughes called Randy Wells' name, then said he had just received some news. The fans in the packed Grand Ballroom started chanting, "Kerry, Kerry" in anticipation, and they were right as Wood appeared.

"The fans are great, they've always been great to me," Wood said. "Tonight was obviously a little special. My family was here, my kids were jumping up and down. It was pretty cool. I got goosebumps. It was very exciting."

Wood, 34, had made it clear he wanted to stay with the Cubs, who drafted him in 1995. He gave the team a hometown discount in 2011, signing a one-year, $1.5 million deal to return. That was motivated by how he felt after attending Hall of Fame third baseman Ron Santo's funeral in December 2010. On Friday, he was able to celebrate the new deal at a fundraiser for his Wood Family Foundation.

"It was kind of last minute," Wood said of his new deal. "We got it worked out. I think both sides kind of knew we would. Two months of waiting took probably 15 minutes to get it done, and that's how it goes sometimes. Obviously, I'm super excited to be back and playing in Chicago."

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein had maintained throughout the negotiations that they wanted to keep Wood, and not just to have a veteran right-hander in the bullpen.

"In Kerry's case, I think he has some added value beyond his performance on the field, which is still quite good and still the most important factor," Epstein said. "[Wood also is] an outstanding teammate and understands the importance of mentoring younger pitchers, he understands how to deal with some of the distractions here in Chicago, he's not shy about setting a good example in the clubhouse and he's an active member in the community.

"All of that matters but the single most important factor is what he's going to contribute to the Cubs on the field," Epstein said. "In 2011, he was still a very effective pitcher, we still think he has something left and we want to bring him back first and foremost because he would fit quite nicely into our bullpen."

The timing could not have been better but Epstein denied they made the decision for good public relations.

"If you start making baseball decisions based on P.R., you're losing," Epstein said. "What does matter is the additional value that a player can bring by how he impacts his teammates. There's more to a player than just the numbers on the back of his baseball card. We want to try to fill that clubhouse with as many guys who get it as possible, and by 'get it,' I mean guys who are invested in the other 24 players."

Wood was 3-5 with a 3.35 ERA in 55 games last season, which ended in mid-September after he suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee. He had surgery in October and was expected to be ready by Spring Training. Last September, Wood said he would retire if he didn't re-sign with the Cubs and meant it. But he also wanted to keep playing.

"I wasn't ready to retire," Wood said. "I didn't want to be forced into that. I still love the game and think I have plenty left. [Retiring] is what I said, but people are allowed to change their minds."

Wood, who signed with the team when he was 18 years old, has become a fan favorite, beginning with his 20-strikeout game in his fifth Major League start in May 1998.

"We both understand the history of the organization and understand which players mean a lot to the fans and the fan base and Kerry is one of them," general manager Jed Hoyer said this week. "That's something we're aware of. Fresh eyes are one thing but that doesn't mean you ignore the rich past the Cubs have."

If Wood was talking to other teams, was he ready to leave the Cubs?

"I was not ready to go," Wood said, "but I was to that point where it was a definite possibility."

Instead, the Cubs will keep No. 34.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The Red Sox COULD use right handed hitting OF help, since most of their lineup and their entire OF is left handed.  But I think they'll go the cheap route and go with a platoon of Darnell McDonald and Ryan Kalish.  Only problem is Kalish is out for the first few months, so I do think they'll need to pick up some outfield help.  Unless they think Mike Aviles can make the transition to RF.

I hate to say it, but good move by the Yanks acquiring Pineda.  Take young pitching over young hitting every time.  Kuroda could be a solid innings eater, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Board footer