You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GN'R Nominated for Hall of Fame

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah they coulda got someone else but they didnt..they got gilby

and they were famous in 88 but they didnt realy blow up until the illusions tour

they were an opening act for Great White, Crue, Maiden and Aerosmith in 88 and the big break was opening a couple shows for the Stones in 89. no shows in 1990 then in 91 they toured from may to august with izzy then UYI was release and Izzy left...they found gilby in Nov and toured basically constantly from December '91 to July '93 ...92 is when they got insanely big ... when dizzy, gilby and sorum were in the band including the paris ppv, the japan dvd's, some of live era, and TSI all feature these guys as well as the majority of the music vids from the UYI era ... i think that is enough of an incentive that they belong in the hall IF gnr is inducted

not down playing Izzy and Steven...just saying the 3 guys above had a hand in making gnr what it became

By the end of the Aerosmith tour, GN'R was the main reason people were showing up. SCOM was released as a single in the summer of 1988 and it (as well as AFD) went to #1 on the charts. Here is what Aerosmith's manager said:

Tim Collins (Aerosmith's manager at the time): "By the end of the tour, Guns N' Roses were huge.They basically just exploded. We were all pissed that Rolling Stone showed up to do a story on Aerosmith, but Guns N' Roses ended up on the cover of the magazine. Suddenly, the opening act was bigger than we were.

But we felt sorry for them. One, they were so fucked up it was ridiculous. Two, their stupid manager had negotiated a bad deal for them and never bothered to renegotiate it or even complain. Three, they were traveling like Gypsies, their old suitcases held together by twine and gaffers tape. At the end of the tour, we bought them all new Halliburton cases, which their manager took as an insult."

GN'R were absolutely huge by the time Paradise City and Patience ruled the charts and MTV airwaves in 1989. The UYI Tour was merely confirmation of what everyone already knew: the band was a pop culture sensation.

Sky Dog wrote:

TTech is right...Gnr were HUGE in late 88-89...if they wanted to headline arenas then they could have...once they hit, they hit big.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl Rose
Slash
Izzy Stradlin
Gilby Clarke
Duff McKagan
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Dizzy Reed

everyone else fuck off. Simple as that.

I agree. But the Matt-Dizzy-Gilby trio should be left upstage. tongue

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

TTech is right...Gnr were HUGE in late 88-89...if they wanted to headline arenas then they could have...once they hit, they hit big.

i still say they were bigger in 91-93 than in 88-89 but maybe i am wrong

my bro got to see them open for aerosmith in Detroit in 88 big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

With all due respect to ANYONE naming "new GN'R" members for the induction...

You're a bunch of geeks.

once again

You're thinking AS A GEEK.

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE outside of forum geeks, considers anything past the UYI-touring band/TSI, -- Guns N' Roses.

Not only will music critics argue it, but Jann Wenner will not even bother acknowleding Guns N' Roses "the band" as anything post-Gilby.

Trust me. Write it down, chisle the mother fucker in stone.

Even if Axl no shows the bitch and refuses to acknowledge it, THIS WILL HAPPEN.

The music industry looks at anything post-Slash Guns N' Roses, as Axl Rose solo with the GN'R name.

However sad, shamful, discouraging, bullshit it is, Tommy Stinson & Chris Pitman after 13 years will be considered 'players in Axl Rose's solo band' by the Hall.

I'm not even gonna bother arguing the merits of Gilby going in, 'cause I don't give a fuck about Gilby. I'm just telling what WILL go down. Gilby was appearing in GN'R videos, interviews, and concert moments as a BAND MEMBER at the height of their popularity.

I would be fucking stunned to see the Hall disacknowledge Gilby, but acknowledge Matt Sorum, based on 'studio albums'.

They're not gonna look at it that way.

My list was not to be a 'favorites' list of mine. It was meant to tell you what will happen. IF GN'R get inducted, THAT is your Guns N' Roses folks.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

You're a bunch of geeks.

once again

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE outside of forum geeks, considers anything past the UYI-touring band/TSI, -- Guns N' Roses.

Not only will music critics argue it, but Jann Wenner will not even bother acknowleding Guns N' Roses "the band" as anything post-Gilby.

The music industry looks at anything post-Slash Guns N' Roses, as Axl Rose solo with the GN'R name.

However sad, shamful, discouraging, bullshit it is, Tommy Stinson & Chris Pitman after 13 years will be considered 'players in Axl Rose's solo band' by the Hall.

I'm not even gonna bother arguing the merits of Gilby going in, 'cause I don't give a fuck about Gilby. I'm just telling what WILL go down. Gilby was appearing in GN'R videos, interviews, and concert moments as a BAND MEMBER at the height of their popularity.

I would be fucking stunned to see the Hall disacknowledge Gilby, but acknowledge Matt Sorum, based on 'studio albums'.

My list was not to be a 'favorites' list of mine. It was meant to tell you what will happen. IF GN'R get inducted, THAT is your Guns N' Roses folks.

Who says they will even acknowledge UYI at all? To the media, the most memorable aspect of it was the fact that they went on the longest tour ever and had all kinds of controversy surrounding it. The critical reception of UYI was very mixed compared to AFD. If they make it in, I think it will only be the AFD lineup.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

You're a bunch of geeks.

once again

I was just playing on your thoughts of who to add. You want to add a touring musician like Gilby and a drummer on UYI which had shit to do with the creating of the band at all. If we're playing on those terms my friend, Tommy Stinson is a much better bet.

Naturally, this is all geeky shit, as the AFD line up will be the one connected to this nonsense, and no one else, and especially not some guy called Gilby Clarke.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
DCK wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl Rose
Slash
Izzy Stradlin
Gilby Clarke
Duff McKagan
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Dizzy Reed

Seriously? U want Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum and leave out Tommy Stinson? That's not just funny, it's hilarious.

Keep the fucking AFD line up. If you want more, then just bring the entire package. There's absolutely no fucking point in dragging in Sorum and Clarke while leaving out Tommy.

Why the fuck should Tommy get into the hall as a member of Guns N' Roses? Cause he's been in a  band for 13 years with one album under their belt that nobody cared about whatsoever. A band many people don't even consider as Guns N' Roses.  You're inducting Tommy basically for being buddies with Axl. Might as well inducted Baz in under the Gn'R name as well.

Sky Dog wrote:

If Tommy gets in, it will be with the Replacements.... as it should be...JR, Gilby is WAY down the totem pole. Period.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl Rose
Slash
Izzy Stradlin
Gilby Clarke
Duff McKagan
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Dizzy Reed

I pretty much agree with this. After this lineup the whole thing pretty much ceased to exist as Guns N' Roses.  Gilby stepped up big time and fit in great for the two years they toured and he recoreded on TSI. Sorum recorded on the Illusions and TSI and toured with them for two years in height of their popularity. The CD era guys have done fuck all but collect a  paycheck really do nostalgia tribute tours and release am album nobody gave a shit about.

CD era has NOTHING to do with their nomination to the RRHOF. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Why anyone thinks any of those guys should get in is way beyond me.

Board footer