You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

James, where are you getting your information on SOD being released as a single?  I never thought it was officially released as a single.  I never heard it once on the radio.

http://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Str … se/2183587

el7azl.jpg

wiki:

Street of Dreams single

Released     March 14, 2009
Format     Digital download, CD single

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_of_ … es_song%29

People here noticed it getting some airplay during the time frame above, including you.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7622

As far as the rest of your post goes, I don't listen to any new rock so don't really pay attention to that scene. While albums aren't flying off the shelves anymore due to no record stores and other reasons, they do still sell. Just because Kings of Leon isn't topping the charts doesn't mean no one buys rock albums.

Just another missed opportunity. Like 'Messages' was for VR.

No shit. Will forever blow my mind that was not on Libertad. That album sucked big time and they leave off the two best songs from its sessions(Messages, Psycho Killer cover).

you're the first guy I've ever heard say that TWAT could've used Slash to replace Bucket's solo.  That I can't get behind.  I think that solo stands up to anything Slash has ever done in GNR.

Totally agree. Bucket owns that song and when I hear that its like he's paying tribute to past GNR epics. While there are songs on the album Slash could have improved(SOD, This I Love), Bucket was perfect for that song and as we got close to release, I was praying Axl didn't let Ron, Fortus,etc. redo that as it just cant be topped.

cd didn't need a better single nor did it need promo - it needed to come out 6 or more years earlier.

Yep. 2001-03 was the time.

I don't know what the problem is, those aren't Slash's songs. You guys can rag Robin for Slash's stuff all you want, but I don't see Slash doing a better job on these songs. One reason, considering the song credits, if Slash was in the band these songs wouldn't exist, otherwise. And these songs aren't Slash' style.

While I do believe Slash could have improved a couple songs, I agree that some of the songs are way out of his comfort zone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

James, where are you getting your information on SOD being released as a single?  I never thought it was officially released as a single.  I never heard it once on the radio.

http://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Str … se/2183587

http://i43.tinypic.com/el7azl.jpg

wiki:

Street of Dreams single

Released     March 14, 2009
Format     Digital download, CD single

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_of_ … es_song%29

People here noticed it getting some airplay during the time frame above, including you.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7622

You scared me for a bit there.  This is what I said back then.

Yeah apparently it's getting regular airplay in Canada and popped up on the Active Rock charts last week.  Kind of strange considering it's not an actual single.

I still never heard it on the radio in the States.  I do remember it getting play in Canada, I think to promote the Canada tour they did if I recall correctly.  And I do remember the screenshots of the single out there.  But still, it either wasn't an OFFICIAL single.  Or, US radio just completely gave up by then and just refused it on arrival.  I'm going with, it was a Canada single release only, to help promote the tour.

And when I say, no one buys rock albums, I say that in comparison to the other genres.  Of course, people do still buy rock albums, but the popularity level has diminished greatly over the years for whatever reason.  So it's not easy, even for established rock acts these days to sell records.  Never mind a band who does no promo, makes no appearances, waits a full year to tour after an album release, replaces lineups so often nobody can name anyone in the band other than the lead man anymore, etc.  Need I go on?

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

I still never heard it on the radio in the States.  I do remember it getting play in Canada, I think to promote the Canada tour they did if I recall correctly.  And I do remember the screenshots of the single out there.  But still, it either wasn't an OFFICIAL single.  Or, US radio just completely gave up by then and just refused it on arrival.  I'm going with, it was a Canada single release only, to help promote the tour.

I didn't hear it either. Just because we didn't hear it doesn't mean it wasn't a single. It was obviously a single. Good point on the Canada thing even though discogs lists it as a UK release for some reason.

Like I said before, I just think its release wasn't handled properly from a label standpoint which has happened with other artists, MIA being my main example. Also agree that US radio probably considered it dead, although this can go back to a label issue as well.

James

James wrote:

And when I say, no one buys rock albums, I say that in comparison to the other genres.  Of course, people do still buy rock albums, but the popularity level has diminished greatly over the years for whatever reason.  So it's not easy, even for established rock acts these days to sell records.  Never mind a band who does no promo, makes no appearances, waits a full year to tour after an album release, replaces lineups so often nobody can name anyone in the band other than the lead man anymore, etc.  Need I go on?

Rap, pop, and country rule the roost here. Been that way for a long time. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't listen to new rock anymore as nothing really catches my attention and when I do hear a song from someone, none of it blows me away to the point where I'd go buy it. I am very selective on what albums I buy.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you unfortunately.  I used to listen to new rock radio stations, but I've gone back to hard and heavy classic rock, 80's and 90's rock. 

Rock used to rival popular music back in the day though.  In the 80's and 90's, rock was right up there with pop and hip hop.  Not now though.  Not since the turn of the century really.  You have some exceptions from time to time, but nowadays if you're starting out, if you're in it for the money, you wouldn't choose rock as your genre.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
misterID wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Good thing they had a stone cold bad ass take care of the solo for TIL.

No Slash needed.

Yeah, Robin was great there, one of my favorite solos. And according to Axl, if it weren't for Robin TIL wouldn't have been released.

Its became the highlight of the album for me, and I hated it in the beginning. Robins trying to capture pain and heartbreak, and he nails it perfectly, I think its stunning.

In fact now listening to the album I think TIL is the perfect closer, I hardly listen to Prostitute now.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Robins trying to capture pain and heartbreak, and he nails it perfectly, I think its stunning.

When I first heard Robin's solo, it was like nails on a chalkboard t my ears, but it slowly began to grow on me, and now I love it. And you're right, it fits the mood of the song completely.

No doubt Slash would have come up with something great too, but Robin did a very admirable job there too.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I see a lot of love for the TWAT solo, I just don't get it.
I compare that to the out-throw solo in Velvet Revolver's 'Gravedancer' which is in the same type of tempo and I feel there is so much more intrinsic creativity from it than I'm getting from TWAT. I just hear a few soulful bends and nothing more. Its just a matter of taste really. Can't be helped.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me the hands down awesome part of TWAT is Axl screaming that "I would do anything for you" part. Totally makes the song IMO.

The song with the bucket solo is an improvment on the 99 Version without the outro....and I think people also like it cos while there's thousands of snippits of impossible guitar solos all over the album...it's a solid ending solo in a more traditional style which is what was missing from the other guitar moments. I think it's cool - but I do take your point - and to me when I know what bucket is capiable of I sort of think it could have been cooler. It's not approaching the level of his out of GNR work.

Board footer